Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Level

I have a Pentair SWG and it has been given me readings of Low Salt (2750ppm) and on occasion will switch to really low salt (2400ppm) and the unit will turn off.

The unit is less than a year old and it has always given low readings, but since it was installed in the winter I figured the cold temps affected the reading. I had not really paid attention because the unit would still run, but now at times it will actually shut down because of the salt reading.

I have been using Aquacheck test strips and they always give me a reading of 3300-3500ppm. Also, I have taken 2 water samples to the local Leslies and those seem to match my readings ( although they use test strips too.)

Are the test strips reliable or is there a drop based test? Or could my SWG have problems?

Thanks, Jim
    Our Pool-
    16,000 Gal IG Gunite with attached Spa
    Pentair Equipment:
    4x160 Pump
    IntelliChlor IC40
    MasterTemp Heater
    Quad DE Filter
    Easytouch 8 Control Panel.

2. Back To Top    #2
    The AquaChek salt test strips are quite good when used according to the directions.

I would take a look at the cell and see if you have any scaling, which can sometimes cause incorrect salt readings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    You may need to re-calibrate the intellichlor per THIS WEBSITE
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it easy to take apart the cell? I looked through the manual and there is no description on taking apart the unit.
    Our Pool-
    Pentair Equipment:
    4x160 Pump
    IntelliChlor IC40
    MasterTemp Heater
    Quad DE Filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    You don't need to take apart the cell, just turn the pump off, open the unions on either end, and look at the plates through the union. If there is scaling there will be obvious white deposits on at least some of the plates. If there are it needs to be cleaned. If there aren't then the problem lies elsewhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Someone on poolforum had this same problem a few months back, the recalibrating did the trick.

7. Back To Top    #7

I tried the recalibrating based on the website listed earlier, but it does not seem to save the settings. The next time I power on the filter and SWG it is back to low salt and very low salt readings. I have put a call into Pentair for service on the unit.
    Our Pool-
    Pentair Equipment:
    4x160 Pump
    IntelliChlor IC40
    MasterTemp Heater
    Quad DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Just as a follow up, I took apart the cell and it was definitely due for a cleaning. I acid cleaned the cell and for the past few 4-5 days it has been showing Salt Level OK.

Thanks for the help!
    Our Pool-
    Pentair Equipment:
    4x160 Pump
    IntelliChlor IC40
    MasterTemp Heater
    Quad DE Filter