Pool pumpis very loud!

Kelli

Jul 27, 2010
Hello,
I am new to this forum and am in need of help!
I have a 16x32 inground pool. It is 8 years old and I have been through 3 pumps in this time. It sounds like my pump is about to go out again.
It is very,very loud. I understand from previous posts that my bearings may be shot. The sound seems to be getting louder each day. The pump still works and has great pressure.
Does anyone have any tips for me on how to prevent this? I just don't think I should be going through so many pumps.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a pump brand and size? I think I need a 1hp pump for the size of my pool.
Thanks so much for any help or suggestions you can give!
Kelli

How many gallons is your pool? A 1 HP or even 3/4 HP two speed pump might work if the pool is around 19000 gallons. If it were me, I would go with a Pentair Whisperflo.

I am not exactly sure about how many gallons the pool is. I have used on line calculators to try to figure it out. I believe it is about 21,000. It is 16x32. The deep end is 8 1/2 feet and shallow end is about 3 foot deep. The shallow end extends out 13 feet before the slope starts for the deep end.

I just looked at the pump again. It is wet around the pump. I don't know if this means anything but it seems like I have a water leak as I also see a bit of corrosion around the bolts that hold the pump to the motor. Thanks!!!

Can you take a few pictures and post them here? It just doesn't seem right that you are replacing motors so soon. The leak is probably cause by o-rings wearing out, but i don't think that is what is causing the motors to burn out. Are the motors under warranty?

My motor is a cheap made in Mexico type, and it is going on its 6th year. It gets loud when hard water scale builds up on the impeller, or when the pressure is too high (filter clog), or when the pump is cavitated. You have to make sure your filter(s) and skimmers are clean and that you don't have air in your system. The o-ring leak can probably be fixed pretty cheap if you know how to disassemble/reassemble the parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.