BBQ Island Gas Line Install?

lances4803

Sep 6, 2009
TN
I'm having the concrete pad poured for an outdoor kitchen with a BBQ island to be built in a few months.
My question is how to prepare for the gas line installation. I have seen steel gas lines and also flexible yellow gas lines. I now have the gas line stubbed to the exterior wall of the foundation.
I was planning on putting in PVC pipe into the foundation in order to run electrical from house.
What is the best method to do before the pour to ensure a nice, concealed, gas installation? Do I go ahead and plumb in a few feet of steel line sticking up out of the foundation where the island will be or use PVC pipe to later install flexible gas line?

Thinking ahead is good, just check and see what the code is in your area for running this type of gas line. Running the steel line under the concrete may be fine, but an inspector might not like it since he didnt see the line before the concrete was poured. Again, check with the building department.

Yellow flex line is not easy to work with. Your plumber need a special fusion tooling to connect those.

If it is a straight run. Just use black steel pipes. If you run a permit you can have about 6" to 12" of capped pipe sticking out of the concrete. Just put a bucket on top of it until you do your island. You should run electrical and water too.

lances4803 said:
I now have the gas line stubbed to the exterior wall of the foundation.

How far away is your kitchen pad going to be from your existing stub out? If you have to go underground from your stub out to the new pad, the yellow line(MDPE) is what most companies use nowadays because it's non-corrosive and easy to install with heat fusion or mechanical fittings. They use powder coated steel transitions to go from above to below ground. The code around here is to put a sleeve over the steel transition so that the concrete doesn't come in contact with the steel. Something in the cement causes the steel to corrode much faster. You could also use pipe wrap and primer to protect the steel transitions.

I already stubbed out the gas to the outside wall (along with an electric panel).
The pad will be about 35' from the house.
After doing some reading, I saw recommendations to not use the black pipe under the concrete due to any leaks being inaccessible. Not sure if this is true or not, as I have this pipe running in the crawl space of my house.
So, long story short: I'll pour the pad solid. Add the fireplace, then the roof. Lastly, will be the kitchen island which I will plumb for electric and gas at that time. Run underground and then come up at the foundation edge into the back wall of the island, and conceal that exposure with landscaping. Easily done and can be altered later if needed.
I checked with codes and they said that since I won't be putting a roof on it until later, to not get a building permit until then. This project will be done as time and money permits.
Will post progress photos.

Do not run glav. or black pipe underground because it WILL rust out in a few years. This type pipe is for above ground use only. That is why it is under your house but not under the ground.

I am installing outdoor kitchen around my pool (which I am remodeling). I have run the gas line using 3/4 inch riser and yellow gas pipe which is PE pipe (polyethlyne). The yellow pipe can not be out of the ground and that is the reason for the riser. The riser has yellow PE tubing and then it transends to coated iron pipe that will be above ground.

On 35 feet run you can use 1/2 inch but would suggest using 3/4 inch so you will get ample gas supply.

I will be posting pictures of my redecorated pool and kitchen later. The job is costing me 24,000 which you might think rediculous since the pool only cost me 10,000 but that was 27 years ago.

Also the yellow PE tubing needs to be in PVC and 3 feet in the ground. If you run it in PVC and install it under concrete then a min of 12 inches will do.

Thanks for that info.
Concrete will hopefully be this week. Looking at pre-fab type fireplaces for the next step.
A local company wanted $61,000 for a 15'x25' covered kitchen area. $11,000 just for the pad!! And, their estimate gave no specifics on appliances, fireplace, etc. I thought they were totally nuts. We can do this for MUCH less.

lances4803 said:
Thanks for that info.
Concrete will hopefully be this week. Looking at pre-fab type fireplaces for the next step.
A local company wanted $61,000 for a 15'x25' covered kitchen area. $11,000 just for the pad!! And, their estimate gave no specifics on appliances, fireplace, etc. I thought they were totally nuts. We can do this for MUCH less.
***********************************************************************************
Don't know the details of what extremes you want but that is definitely out of line. Get more estimates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess the '97 F150 in the drive didn't impress them much?

I'll just sub out what I can't do.
Their estimate consisted of a single page, no drawings or appliance/brick/cabinet specs.
BTW, their estimate didn't include a 10% "Project Manager's Fee", and the covered pavilion did NOT include "lights and fan, hip roof, architectual shingles, aluminum gutters and vinyl soffits".
They never called back to follow up, so I guess they knew I wasn't made of money.
I've gotten some great ideas from the members photos here, and the tidbits of technical info make reviewing old posts very worthwhile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.