Chlorine to bromine to chlorine

Jul 26, 2010
Read about bromine (although not well enough) and decided to use it in my above ground pool. WRONG! Water turned disgusting. Called the place I purchased the bromine and they told me to let the bromine level drop to zero then just start adding chlorine. Well I did just as they suggested and my pool still looked awful. I used an algeaside, pH plus, Alkaline plus and stabilizer. When I used the stabilizer the bromine went off the charts. I call them back and was told I had to change the median in my sand filter drain the pool some and refill it. I called the place where I purchased the pool and they said they don't use bromine on pools so they couldn't help me. It's the end of July and my kids can't swim because I'm afraid to let them. My husband is madder :evil: that ever about all of this and I don't know what to do. Please help me :( . Thank you!

solarmom said:
Will I have to change the median in my filter as well as drain my pool? What a costly mistake. Wish I would have stumbled on this website before I switched.

I don't think it is necessary to change the sand - it isn't like a Baq conversion.

I'm sorry this has happened...I too wish you had found our site first. Once you get the water replaced we can help you balance your new water.

Thank you so very much, at least that's a small amount of good news. At this point in time I'll take any good news I can get. I will begin to drain my pool this evening and them fill it back up :cry: . This has definately been a costly mistake :rant: , one that I'll never make again!

From what I understand, if you don't drain it completely and rinse out the plumbing and filter, when you fill it back up you're going to have a bromine pool again. I think with a complete drain and rinse, you'll be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave J,
You are so very right!!!! My husband would not let me drain all the water out of the pool. He stopped it at about 1.5 feet. He began to fill the pool and I told him what y'all told me to do. He refused to allow me to drain the pool completely! Filled the pool back up. I back washed it, flushed the waste and rinsed the crud out of the filter. Filled the pool back up to an acceptable level and started to add chemicals. First pH plus then I shocked the pool and WHAM that Dang bromine was at high levels again. He thought I'd ruin the liner if I drained it all the way down, get this... he thought I paid $1,500 for the new liner we put in a couple of years ago. Yea, I couldn't believe it either. Like I'd spend that kind of money on a stinkin liner! I can't afford to drain the pool and fill it up again, I simply don't have that kind of extra cash lying around. This just sucks! Can my kids swim? Or do I have to wait until I can afford to drain the pool again? Grrrrr!!!!!

are you sure it's just not chlorine registering as bromine at this point? I would think if you have not added any Bromine or chlorine after the fill both would register low :scratch:

What are you numbers after the fill? Just wondering why the PH+, unless your fill water PH is 7 or below?

I did add 3" chlorine tabs after I refilled the pool and backwashed the filter etc... I use those test strips from Wally World (Walmart) and it has both chlorine and bromine squares. I have never ever seen the bromine register before I used the bromine tabs (for only 2 days mind you.) Even after I refilled my pool the water looks brownish green, it's clear but not pristine like before this bromine mess. The pH registered low so I added pH plus then shocked the pool and BAM there was the bromine again.

Bromine level (as the test strips show) are dropping. We swam today and no side effects from the bromine. Hopefully with the pool being in direct sun next year will yield no bromine. Thank y'all for all your help with this situation. I sang y'all praises on FB. THANKS!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.