Heat pumps - do you have to have a solar cover?

Apr 30, 2010
We installed a new pool this summer. It's been brutally hot and my water averages about 88 degrees so far. No need to use my Thermaflo yet. Someone told me that heat pumps require you to get a solar cover also. My PB never said that to me. I have a funky free form pool so a cover would be a challenge and also I don't like them. Any thoughts of if this is true? I had a gas option as my house is heated with propane and this will make me angry if so.

Your electrical usage will be higher and your maximum potential temperature rise will be lower without a cover, but the heat pump will still work without one.

Solar covers hold in heat. How the heat is generated (gas or HP) makes no difference. Without one, you will lose heat very quickly in the cooler months at the beginning/end of the season. You can keep your pool warm without one, but it will cost a lot more.

Its required on all new installs here in my county in Florida. Might be true for the entire state. Anyway, I had a small electric heater put in for my overflow spa and the PB had to supply a solar cover for the spa. It had to be there during inspection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.