floor finish - worth the additional cost

Hi-

We're into the process of the pool build. Freeform pool ...

Here in OKLA CITY area, there seems to be not many people choosing Durazzo or PebbleTec over traditional plaster. The reason I say this is my pool builder is having a hard time getting a couple of the plastering contractors to provide Durazzo projects.

So, the upgrade pricing is showing around $6000-$8000 upgrade over the traditional plaster cost.

Without ever seeing a Durazzo pool, is the $6000-$8000 upgrade in cost WORTH it?

I'm really wanting a smoother finish and if it lasts longer, that's another benefit.

Our pool cost is running in the $80,000 +/- cost so I'm looking at a 8%-10% additional cost for the Durazzo choice. I just don't know if worth it or not.

Thoughts?

I would think of it in terms of cost per year of life. You said it's a 6-8K upgrade, but over what base cost? For example, if it costs 10K for regular plaster (~10 year lifespan) and 18K for pebbletec (20+ year lifespan), it would certainly be worth it. I don't know anything about Durazzo. Hope that helps!

thanks for the input.

I don't know the cost of the plaster - I haven't asked my builder but will ask and see if he can tell me that line item.

but, I think what you have described is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. The issue is I've had 2 quotes, 1 seems high (granted, based on limited information that I have), the 2nd quote seems more inline with what I've heard but seems like that applicator isn't an approved applicator. MFG seems to not care too much so I guess we're just a small market ... I can't find any metro area pools that say they have Durazzo as a finish. still hunting ...

considering PebbleTec's PebbleSheen as an alternative and seeing if there might be another applicator who would have a good reputation to do it.

Melt In The Sun said:
I would think of it in terms of cost per year of life. You said it's a 6-8K upgrade, but over what base cost? For example, if it costs 10K for regular plaster (~10 year lifespan) and 18K for pebbletec (20+ year lifespan), it would certainly be worth it. I don't know anything about Durazzo. Hope that helps!

I have some additional information and my upgrade pricing is around $48-$52 LF for this product.

If I can really get longer life and a nice look, smooth surface, I want to pursue this.

It's really driving me crazy but the installers won't provide projects to be able to see either Durazzo or PebbleTec's products and I'm BLIND going in on this upgrade. Just not sure what to do.

oklapool2010 said:
thanks for the input.

I don't know the cost of the plaster - I haven't asked my builder but will ask and see if he can tell me that line item.

but, I think what you have described is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. The issue is I've had 2 quotes, 1 seems high (granted, based on limited information that I have), the 2nd quote seems more inline with what I've heard but seems like that applicator isn't an approved applicator. MFG seems to not care too much so I guess we're just a small market ... I can't find any metro area pools that say they have Durazzo as a finish. still hunting ...

considering PebbleTec's PebbleSheen as an alternative and seeing if there might be another applicator who would have a good reputation to do it.

Melt In The Sun said:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.