Can someone recommend a timer

Jul 17, 2010
Orlando, Fl
Can someone recommend a timer for our above-ground pool? It's running a Hayward 1hp pump and we're going to add an Intex SWG to it. A while ago, I bought an Intermatic from Home Depot that said it was for pools, but the thing caught fire, and we ended up having to replace the pump.

Thanks!

Oh, OK. A plug-in timer, as in a little box that plugs into the wall with switches on it? That's strange that it would be recommended for pools...those things aren't made to handle much juice.

An intermatic mechanical timer like this is what many people (including myself) use.

While the Intermatic mechanical timers are the Mac-Daddy of pool timers, I've been running an electronic Intermatic timer for over a year starting our 1½hp pump 3 times a day and it's held up well so far. I'm not sure how it'd hold up with a pump and SWCG though.

You need to look for one that's rated in hp to match your pump. That way you'll know it's designed to handle starting your pump.

I have been using Intermatic mechanicals since 1970. They are really reliable. I have had them fried due to lightning, and all I had to do was swap the clock motor. (Don't believe that stuff about it doesn't strike twice.) Try that with a digital!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.