Dual or Singl Skimmer with Solar or Single Pump - Efficiency

Aug 28, 2009
I read a thread on this, but can't find it now.

I have been running 2 pumps on my system so far, a starite 1.5hp pump for the sand filter side, and an intex 2500gph for the solar (2 skimmers, opposite sides and 2 returns). The flow on the solar side is a little bit weak, which results in WARM water on the return, and if memory serves, this means that I'm actually being LESS efficient with my solar system.

I will be pluming everything with pvc and remotely locating the panels and pumps/filters, probably 40' run from the skimmer to the pumps (below water level still), and then another 50' to the panels (slightly above the pumps (3') and water level).

Since I have to redo my liner (see pics in this thread), I am considering patching the 2nd skimmer hole and return and just running a single skimmer instead.

Any advice? I'm concerned about both extra electricity to run 2 pumps during the day, AND also just loss of efficiency from the panels.

There are 10 panels, so the flow rate need is pretty high.

Thanks!

Indeed, you might as well run the water going to the panels through a filter and use that as your main pool circulation. The pump to run 10 panels will be a bit larger than what you would need on the pool anyway.

Thanks Jason!

Would it be smart to keep the 2nd return (it's 1' lower and on the opposite side of the pool) and plumb in both for better circulation? At this point, I could easily even add a 3rd return, or just move the 2nd one. It would be nice to have more circulation to distribute the heat.

You can see the return locations here:

SDC12462.jpg

Having extra returns is a trade-off. More returns means better circulation, but a just slightly higher chance of leaks. One return is enough, especially if you get a return fitting that can be aimed. But two is still better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.