Looking for the best above ground I can get??? I have a few?

Jul 25, 2010
I have a 15ft intex pool for 5yrs now and my SWG/Pump combo went out last month. I figure its high time I up grade our pool now to something big and better that will last the beating my 4 kids will put on it. So I have been looking at the Seaspray Evolution and the Seaspray Genesis54. I have tried to find reviews on either pool and can't seem to find any. I want to make sure I buy a top of the line pool thats worth every penny I spend on it. BUT I also don't want to get taken in the process. So these are the prices I have so far

Evolution 24ft
pool structure
20mil print liner
1.5 hp pump
19 " sand filter
wide mouth skimmer
hard plumbed
ball valve
zapzit
cast aframe ladder
wahoo cleaner
saltwater gen.
light

all together it comes to $5324.00 installed

Genesis54
pool structure
30mil liner
vacuum kit
start up kit
wahoo cleaner
saltwater gen.
fountain
aframe steps but

installed it comes to $5040.00

Any and ALL info on these pools and the prices I have gotten would be GREAT. Also any pools I should be looking at would be helpful too.

Doughboy is very highly thought of and threre are several threads here about many year old Doughboy pools.

A couple of generic comments:
Get as large a filter as you can afford. At least a 24" sand for that size pool.
Insist on a 2-speed pump and a 1hp is plenty big for that size pool.

I just bought the seaspray Evolution myself. I have had it in for approx. a month now and really like it. I was looking at the genesis as well but steered away for two reasons, I am about to have a newborn so added a couple inches of water could mean a couple years of difference down the road when they are able to touch, and the other was the all resin frame. I am glad I did go with the evolution since I was talking to the installers when they were setting mine up and my local pool store quite selling the genesis. They installed 4 this year and all four have had frame issues where the resin is just not standing up to the pressure of the walls pushing against them since they have no steel supports.

Hope this helps, If you wanted I could try to get some pics of mine and post. I went with a 27' round with sand filter 1.5hp pump, Frog pool system. I did not go with saltwater generator since the four pool stores I talked to said they would not recommend it with an above ground pool, two of the stores would not even sell me one said if I wanted to put one in on an above ground to buy it from somewhere else they won't do it.

Wired4Speed said:
I just bought the seaspray Evolution myself. I have had it in for approx. a month now and really like it. I was looking at the genesis as well but steered away for two reasons, I am about to have a newborn so added a couple inches of water could mean a couple years of difference down the road when they are able to touch, and the other was the all resin frame. I am glad I did go with the evolution since I was talking to the installers when they were setting mine up and my local pool store quite selling the genesis. They installed 4 this year and all four have had frame issues where the resin is just not standing up to the pressure of the walls pushing against them since they have no steel supports.

Hope this helps, If you wanted I could try to get some pics of mine and post. I went with a 27' round with sand filter 1.5hp pump, Frog pool system. I did not go with saltwater generator since the four pool stores I talked to said they would not recommend it with an above ground pool, two of the stores would not even sell me one said if I wanted to put one in on an above ground to buy it from somewhere else they won't do it.

Wired and ST...welcome to TFP. I know it only been a month now, but trust me getting the Frog system vs a SWG was a bad move IMO. You can ask FPM (Frustratedpoolmom) all about the frog...it works for a while but then it will just fail. All pools have salt in them, SWG pools salt concentrations are only marginally higher than a non-salt pool.

I'm on my 2nd year with a swg and just an avg Namco brand all resin pool/metal wall = no rust...4 kids beating on it 5-7 days a week and I consider it to be pretty solid, but the evolutions/doughboys are better quality at twice the cost and will last you many years. Will I get 15 years out of my pool, I'm pretty sure I will, by then my youngest will be 18 and with some luck I'll have a IGP somewhere south of here. Anyway the reason I bring this up is that the cost was significantly less than what you are quoting if you are looking for an alternate The pool cost us $899 (Fall sale at Namco), 0.5 hp pump and 250lb filter inground quality was $600, steps $200 and Install was $1000...$2,700 for a pool that is not so bad looking. Ok yes my deck cost me another $7K, but who's counting. My point is that there are other options available and can leave you some $ for a deck, etc.

Anyway, here is a a few pics of ours before any landscape, etc

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

The right choice for you will be what you want...if it's the best you are on the right path

Dman, I think your pool looks great. I love the maintenance free thought of the decking. I looked around at pools around here and was leary of going with a cheaper pool. I was a little scared to order one over the internet as I was not sure what I would be getting. I know some people that had bought pools from a dealer named "Watsons" and their pools you could grab with one arm and shake half the top rail and wall around a 24 foot pool. With mine, you can grab it with both arms and put your weight into it and it doesn't want to budge. It took a lot of thinking for me to want to fork out that much money on a pool, then still have the deck to go but I wanted something that I knew I would be happy with and not have issues. As far as the SWG, I have not known anyone that has one, I was just relaying what they told me. I kind of thought that if it would work fine for an inground liner type pool then it would work the same for an above.

Wired4Speed said:
Dman, I think your pool looks great. I love the maintenance free thought of the decking. I looked around at pools around here and was leary of going with a cheaper pool. I was a little scared to order one over the internet as I was not sure what I would be getting. I know some people that had bought pools from a dealer named "Watsons" and their pools you could grab with one arm and shake half the top rail and wall around a 24 foot pool. With mine, you can grab it with both arms and put your weight into it and it doesn't want to budge. It took a lot of thinking for me to want to fork out that much money on a pool, then still have the deck to go but I wanted something that I knew I would be happy with and not have issues. As far as the SWG, I have not known anyone that has one, I was just relaying what they told me. I kind of thought that if it would work fine for an inground liner type pool then it would work the same for an above.

Thanks for the compliment :goodjob: ...and no doubt it sounds like you've got a quality pool...certainly a good choice, just wanted to throw an alt out there for ST. Anyhow, as you meet more folks here on TFP, you will find that using a SWG is not only a viable chlorinating option but a popular one for both IG and AGP's. A salt pool is a chlorine pool and the byproduct of chlorine is salt, hence all chlorine pools have salt in the water.

Seeing as how I just got the pool a month ago, I could not see me going up to my 8 month pregnant wife and saying hey were going to ditch the frog system we got and go with this. I think she would kill me. Looks like I will just have to work with it for a couple years then maybe convert, also convert to a more energy effeciant pump. I really wish I would have found this site before I purchased mine though. I have learned so much just from the week I have found it. Thanks to all for their help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.