What kind of bugs and how to get rid of them?!?!

[originally posted last night under "Pool Chemistry" incorrectly]

Hello,

Husband was in the pool today scrubbing the grout and found a bunch of these critters under the coping:

[attachment=0:2emd04qc]IMG_1243.jpg[/attachment:2emd04qc]

This one is pretty small. The tiles are 6"x6" so it gives you an idea of it's size.

On my way out to measure the tile just now, I think I just saw a backswimmer, too. I walked out and didn't see it on the deck. Only noticed it when it got startled and jumped into the pool. GROSSSSSS!!! It seemed darker and stubbier with shorter legs than the one in the pict, but I can't be sure cuz it was quick & my skin was totally crawling. To boot, while I was trying to scout out the little bugger to get a better look at it, I noticed a bunch of long legged thin bodied spiders that are taking up house under the coping as well.

What the HE**???? How do I get rid of all these disgusting pests?? Never even knew these things existed.

The pool is completely balanced and I was planning on adding borates but had held off cuz the pool was already super clear/sparkly and I didn't want to spend the cash. I'm going to jump online right now and purchase ProTeam Supreme Plus. Could care less about saving a few bucks at this point.

Would like to know what I'm dealing with and if there is anything else that I can do to get rid of the bugs. I'd try the dish soap advice on the forum but the pool is super large and I don't want to mess with adding anything that might alter the balance.

Thanks for any help/advice!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 120
Hello,

Quick update from last night...

I couldn't find any stores in CA that carry ProTeam Supreme Plus. Found this website that not only carries it, but also supplies the test strips and delivers for free if you are buying enough of the stuff:

http://www.poolgeek.com/default.aspx

Also, went out hunting in the daylight and couldn't find any of the swimmers; but, they have a pretty good cover with our dark bottom pool. I did get a better shot of the bugger in my first post:

[attachment=0:2p0cbdfn]IMG_1248.jpg[/attachment:2p0cbdfn]

It's there... just pretty dam* good at blending in with the coping. I think it may be a spider? Anyone?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 116
Sure looks like a spider to me; I think I see eight legs in that second picture. Any webs? If not, I would guess they're hanging out there during the day since it's nice and cool, then hunting at night.

If they're not in the water at all, your pool chemistry won't have any effect on them. Perhaps you could spray a repellant or pesticide there? If it were me, I'd probably just squish 'em all and see if they come back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.