Motor replacement cost seems high...

Feb 28, 2009
College Station, Texas USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently had my motor replaced with an A.O. Smith 1 HP USN1102 motor. When I received the invoice for the job, I was surprised to see the $370 cost for the motor. Searching on line, I am finding prices anywhere from $215 - $260, including shipping. Before I call my pool co. to protest, can anyone provide any additional tips, comments or help to support my complaint for the motor cost?

Online prices I found, including shipping, were from AquaStore.com ($215), CSH, Inc. ($250) and Moore Bros. Electric ($260).

Did you pay installation as well? Sometimes installation is included, or some of the installation cost is "built in" to the motor price to make the installation price look cheaper.

40-50% mark up on equipment is pretty typical on pool parts when you have work done. These guys are in business, so they are entitled to make a profit. Some guys charge more, and some charge less. I don't know anyone who buys a produce and then resells it for the same price :shock: Hard to stay in business that way!

Did the pool company come out and remove the pump or did you take it in to them?? if it was just swapped out with you taking it and then you replacing it back in to your pool equipment pad-- I would agree that would be on the high side.. BUT if they came out and pulled the pump replaced the seal in the wet end and then put it all back together-- that would be about right. Have to figure in like a service call and the labor to pull out the pump and all. In my service industry --which is very specialized in the CNC automation-- we charge a min 125.00 an hour --min 4 hours plus travel and expenses. Just something you have to take in consideration when it is someone else's labor is involved.

Motor cost alone was $370, just the motor. They did come out and remove old motor and put on the new motor. But, there was 2 hours labor to do this (an extra $120, no issues here), plus the costs of a new mounting plate and impeller kit (total of about $80-$90 or so).

It just seems like a steep markup for the motor when these motors are available on line for $260, with the on-line retailer still making a profit at this price.

I think it's fair. If you order it online and hire someone to install it, and it goes bad, it may be warranty but you still get to pay the guy to do the job the second time. I imagine from the local guy, if there's a problem, he gets to replace it for free and battle the manufacturer for reimbursement. That's where the markup comes in.

I'm a mechanic by trade, and I've run into similar scenarios before. Here's what happens:

Example one. Guy gets towed in with a dead battery. Find a bad alternator. Sell alternator and 50% markup. Charge for time to install. Two weeks later, battery light on dash is on. Parts store is happy to warranty the part, but I install it for free. There went my 50% markup...

Example two. Ggal comes in with a rattle. It's her water pump. I give an estimate. She says let me think about it. Two hours later she shows up with a pump from the cheapo parts store. I start the job then discover it's the wrong pump. I call her. She calls store. Store calls me. I end up measuring the hub diameter on the old pump. She comes back, takes pump, leaves me waiting with a car dismantled on my rack, returns with right pump. I install it. I got nothing extra for ordering the right part for her nor my downtime. Three months later, she's back with a coolant leak. Water pump is leaking - she can see it plain as day! I tell her I'll be happy to replace it again for the same price as last time. There was nothing wrong with the installation - and I didn't sell her the part. There's nothing for me to warranty. And after more wasted time arguing, a couple more phone calls, threats to report me to the Bureau of Auto Repair, I decided I will never again install parts they bring in.

The time to question the price is before work starts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.