converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

Jul 24, 2010
We are going to convert from baqua to chlorine because my son continues to break out in a rash and it does NOT happen when he is in a chlorinated pool. Has anyone ever heard of this before? New one on us.

Reading the threads on conversion makes me realize it will be a process, but I think it will be worth it.

24' x 52" doughboy, aboveground, 1 1/2 HP pump

I have not tested levels of baqua, but plan on ordering test kit. and begin to stockpile bleach!

Welcome to TFP!

What is most likely happening is that the baquacil is not being totally effective anymore, allowing some irritant to remain in the water. Though it could be something simpler like the PH being too low.

My 4 year old is allergic to some certain brands of chlorine, however totally fine with other brands. He is completely fine with our Baquacil pool and this is a kid with very sensitive skin. My point is that the previous poster is touching on something I would look into. Make sure your chemicals are at the levels they are suppose to be and maybe try using a different kind of D.E or different brand of Baquacil products before you go throwing the baby out with the bath water (clever, yes)

There are lots of threads on here about the issues with baquacil. So much so that I would encorage anyone to convert to a chlorinated pool.

However, like Jason, I suspect OP has a water quality issue other than baquacil that needs to be corrected. Of course, this forum's expertise is on conversions and chlorine chemistry balance and not so much on baqua pool maintenance.

I make and sell a testkit so I am prejudice, but trying to convert a pool without FIRST having a testkit (High Quality FAS/DPD chlorine test) is very, very difficult. If you intend to convert and continue the practices of BBB (which means accurate testing) then you simply cannot do without a good kit.

I'm not surprised.

Bacquacil may do well to kill bacteria, but it doesn't oxidize anything. That's why you have to buy more products. So there's probably all sorts of organic stuff in the water causing irritation. Think about it in simple terms: lighter fluid is a skin irritant. Once it is oxidized, the soot is not.

I have no biased interest, and I second what duraleigh posted: get a decent test kit. I use the TF100 and a speedstir, both ordered from duraleigh. Once you get it and start using it, you'll see it is some of your best-spent money ever.

illwill said:
My 4 year old is allergic to some certain brands of chlorine, however totally fine with other brands. He is completely fine with our Baquacil pool and this is a kid with very sensitive skin. My point is that the previous poster is touching on something I would look into. Make sure your chemicals are at the levels they are suppose to be and maybe try using a different kind of D.E or different brand of Baquacil products before you go throwing the baby out with the bath water (clever, yes)

Welcome to TFP!

DE is filter media and would have no impact at all on how skin reacts when exposed to water.

Baquacil is a problematic sanitizer with marginal performance at best. Discontinuing the use of PMHB products in the pool will solve most rash issues. Dirty water causes rashes. When water is properly sanitized, rashes are rare if not nonexistent.

257WbyMag said:
illwill said:

Welcome to TFP!

DE is filter media and would have no impact at all on how skin reacts when exposed to water.

Baquacil is a problematic sanitizer with marginal performance at best. Discontinuing the use of PMHB products in the pool will solve most rash issues. Dirty water causes rashes. When water is properly sanitized, rashes are rare if not nonexistent.

Thanks, there is some really good information to be read here. The OP can have a rash free pool with baquacil is what I was getting at. Just needs to be properly sanitized.

Welcome to both of you!

Ilwil...just FYI, chlorine is chlorine regardless of brand. Are you referring to the type of chlorine (trichlor, dichlor, vs liquid chlorine)?

dmanb2b said:
Welcome to both of you!

Ilwil...just FYI, chlorine is chlorine regardless of brand. Are you referring to the type of chlorine (trichlor, dichlor, vs liquid chlorine)?

Yeah I'm new to this but that makes sense. The two people I know whose pools bother my sons skin just probably don't take very good care of their chemical levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.