Need help with plumbing

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Woke up to find a thin stream of water shooting 10 feet up in the air. The flex hose between the pump and the filter had developed a pinhole leak. After removing the offending hose and scouring the local hardware and pool stores, I finally found enough pieces to make repairs. I have two elbows with one threaded end and 1 slip end, 1 union with two slip ends, 1 elbow with 2 slip ends, and spa flex pipe cut to fit. I dry fit the pieces together and opened the valve to the pump so gravity would start to fill the filter. Of course, there were leaks at every joint. What do I need to do to prevent leaks when I glue the pieces together? Are there any tips or techniques for making the threaded joints leak free?

Hey, zea,

PVC glue joints are fairly simple...

1. make sure both sides are completely dry
2. Prime carefully and thoroughly (I personally don't like the purple primer aesthetically)
3. The glue can set up VERY quickly in this hot weather.....be prepared. Using a little extra glue can be helpful to retard the setting time but it makes a sloppy-looking joint. Sometimes you can wipe it down with a rag and improve it.
4. It usually helps to apply glue to one side, then the other, and lastly go back to the first side and give it a quick "refresh" application if you move fast.

I would suggest pipe joint compound (HD/Lowe's/hardware store) for the threaded joints. You can be really slow and picky with this and get compound down into both sides of the joint and then wipe of the excess. Some folks use Teflon Tape but on anything bigger than 1", I like the joint compound a little better.

(Much duplication with duraleigh, but some new information)

Threaded joints can be a little tricky. You need to use a teflon based thread compound and you need to tighten them correctly. If you have never done it before it sometimes takes a couple of tries.

Glued joints are easier. Make sure you use the correct primer and cement and that both the primer and cement are applied to the entire surface of the joint on both sides. Apply primer to everything, wait a moment, apply cement to everything. Push the joint together and then twist the two pieces to spread the glue throughout the joint. Be sure to hold the pipe together until it sets (typically 10 or 15 seconds) or the pieces will push apart from each other.

Thank you, gentlemen! I am almost finished except 1 small problem... the pipes slide further into the fittings with the glue than they did with the dry fit, so one side is 2" too short. :grrrr: :rant:

I even pounded them with a rubber mallet when I did the dry fit!

Oh, well tomorrow I shall again brave the heat and mosquitoes and try and get this finished!

Thanks again guys!

zea3 said:
Thank you, gentlemen! I am almost finished except 1 small problem... the pipes slide further into the fittings with the glue than they did with the dry fit, so one side is 2" too short. :grrrr: :rant: !

That will burn you every time!

I measure everything now, and still occasionally end up crooked :rant:

Zea, one other thing, read the can of glue you use and don't flood the pipe until you've reached the minimum set time (usually 10 - 30 minutes). If the glue hasn't set or cured enough, the water pressure will wreck the bond :wink:

BTW - dry fitting the flex pipe is an exercise in futility, I just hold the pipe up to the fittings (knowing where the 'stops' are) mark the end I'm going to cut with my thumb, then add 2 more ribs for safety's sake.

Gee Ted, why didn't you speak up yesterday! :wink:

I think the glue is good and set now. When I tried to pull the too short piece out it was already set firm! Today I will get the (hopefully) last 2 pieces set.

I will let it sit a few hours before I test it. Since it ate up most of my day yesterday I have a lot to do today, so it has plenty of time to cure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.