TA and pH troubles

Jul 24, 2010
Franklin, TN
Hello, this is my first pool and I've been attempting to use the BBB method. I am having trouble getting my TA and pH at the appropriate levels. I just tested with my TF-100 kit and got the following results. I know I need to add bleach to get my chlorine up, but its the TA and pH that I don't know what to do. I have done the muratic acid, but it didn't seem to budge it much. Any help would be much appreciated!

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 8.2
T/A 240
CYA 30

AG 18x33 ft., 52 inches deep, 15,700 gal.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I know you're posting about TA and pH. Get some chlorine in your pool ASAP. You are quickly heaqded for an algae bloom with absolutely no chlorine in your pool. Today bring it to about 4ppm and keep it at that level if you don't alter your CYA.

Now to your question.....
I have done the muratic acid, but it didn't seem to budge it much.
It will, you just didn't add enough. Your pH may have been higher than 8.2.

It may take a half gallon or more to get it down to around 7.4.

Add 1 quart and then let it circulate for about an hour and then test. Add again as necessary until it gets to 7.4 or so.

Sorry to be a nag, but get that chlorine in your pool today!!

I actually put a bit more than 1 and a half 96 oz. jugs. The pool calculator states 1.4 jugs to raise to 4 ppm. Now that chlorine is added, when should I try to do the muratic acid? What is the best method of adding that. We've been putting pool water in a 5 gallon bucket and adding a pint at a time to it and then adding it to the water. How much can I add at a time and when can the kids safely swim after adding that? Also, with my CYA at 30, should I try to get that up to 40 or more? I am sorry for so many question, I just haven't ever done this before. Thanks to all for your input!

CYA at 30 is fine for now. You will probably need to add a little before the end of the season, but there is no rush.

A good way to add muriatic acid is to pour it very slowly into the pool in front of a return jet while the pump is running. What you are doing is also fine. With very high TA, you can add more muriatic acid at one time than you can add when the TA is lower. One good approach is to use the Pool Calculator to calculate how much acid you need (be sure to enter your current TA level) and then only use about 2/3rds that much, wait an hour, retest and adjust from there.

Questions are great! That is how we learn.

I usually pour muriatic acid into a measuring cup over the eyeball stream to catch any spilled drips, then pour into the same stream slowly. Just try to have the wind at your back, the fumes get a bit tricky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.