Newbee in need of help!

Jul 23, 2010
Brampton,ON
Just bought a house with pool and attempting to open it for the 1st time (although the pool is quite old).
Here are the details of my pool:

1.It is rectangular 25 ft x 15 ft.Depth is abput 5 ft.
2.The color of water is green.

Here are the test results done today by a pool store:
FC:0.09ppm
TTL Chlorine:0.09ppm
Comb Chl:0.0 ppm
pH:7.80
Hardness:90.0ppm
Alkalinity (w/stabilizer correction) :67 ppm
Cyanuric acid:10ppm
Copper:0.04ppm
Iron"0.00ppm

1.I talked to 3 pool stores and they told me different amounts of chlorine I should put.This one said 3 lts, one said 10 Lts and one said 20 Lts.So I m confused :!:

2.He has asked me to put foll besides chlorine:
a)Aqua Trol -1kg
b)Aqua Cal - 2 kg
c)Aqua Stab-450 gm
d)Algacide

So far, I have just added Aqua Trol.Do I really need Trol,Cal and Algaecide?

2.The vinyl liner of one wall was coming OFF a bit before I filled water.Once I filled the pool it sunk in and now due to weight its immpossible to pull it back up.And and don't want to drain the water as its lots of to waste.I have put a patch of liner for now and will try to fix the orignal liner at the time of closing the pool.Is it allright to do so?

Here is the picture:
RecentlyUpdated

http://picasaweb.google.ca/100642790066 ... 5524095650

What you NEED is to get is your cya to 40 or 50 and bring your chlorine level to the target for that. See the chart in pool school. The calculator there will tell you how much to add to reach that target level for your gallon capacity. Run the filter/pump steadily to see if it clears. Don't backwash for a week. And yeah, there's a part of the calculator to determine your gallons based on size at the bottom.

If the pool is green and the FC is virtually zero, I'd doubt the CC reading... Since it's from a pool store that wants to sell you this, repackaged, pretty much all the numbers are questionable in my opinion.[attachment=0:20e0psmj]snakeoil.jpg[/attachment:20e0psmj]

Pool Calculator will be your new best friend. As mentioned above, punch in your numbers and it will calculate volume - if you look hard you'll also see where you can switch to metric units, if that's easier for you to deal with.

Don't buy anything else from the pool store. Well, maybe muriatic acid. Otherwise you need bleach or "liquid pool chlorine" which is the same stuff just more concentrated. Baking soda can come from the grocery store or some big box store. The pool store will sell you the same thing, with a fancier label for 4X as much.

But first things first - you ought to read Pool School. The articles are better written than I can post here. And you'll need a test kit, but be prepared to spend a lot up there in Canuckistan, as one company has the Taylor monopoly.

I can't help you with the liner question, no experience there.

Attachments

• snakeoil.jpg
    snakeoil.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 101
As far as the liner - I would think it will be pretty much impossible to keep water from getting behind the liner, and although I don't have experience with what that means, I can't imagine it's a good thing. It looks like more than just the liner came out - possibly the coping as well?

If I were in that situation I'd definitely drain and get that fixed...for what it's worth. If you spend money on getting that water right, and then this problem gets even worse (which I would think is very likely) - you will have wasted even more money than just the water.

The repair work that I did yesterday for liner failed!It did not hold the liner as there is rust on the wall :(
The usage of my pool is going to be very less and I just bought a house so I cannot afford to spend a lot of money on pool to replace the whole liner at this point.

What are my options?

In your original picture it looked like the liner track, that holds the liner up, had come lose from the wall of the pool. If so, it needs to be remounted securely. That may mean sanding down the metal to give a good surface to glue to. More pictures and a more through description would help us be more specific than that.

Here are some more pics.I don't know what more info is required.

I noticed another problem.Yesterday I filled up water till half of skimmer but today moring it came down below the skimmer.So may be there is a leak too!

I think I should drain water and repair the liner and close the pool as I can't spend too much.What do you think?

There is a strip of rigid white plastic running along the top edge of the liner. I suspect it is actually tow pieces, the track and the coping, that snap together. That assembly is supposed to be very firmly connected to the walls of the pool, with the white trim going over the deck. I can't see how your particular top edge piece is designed to be mounted, but however it works it is supposed to be very firmly attached. Normally the liner pulls out of that piece, but in your case the whole piece has pulled away from the wall.

You need to figure out how that piece is meant to be attached and reattach it so that it is held firmly in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.