Mud/soil run off into pool after major storm

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We had a massive storm overnight and dirt/soil/mud has run into my pool and I can't see the deep end. I backwashed as the water level was almost to the level of the patio. I shocked it, and put in my cleaner. The pool was dirty enough that clean tracks could be seen the moment my cleaner started going. Is running the cleaner a lost hope as there is likely much dirt dispersed in the water?

You use your hand held pool vacuum that attaches to a pole. Instead of keeping the sand filter on the filter setting, you move the multiport valve to Waste instead. The water ends up being dumped out the backwash hose. That way you dont run all that sludge thru the filter.
I guess the first question to ask would be do you have a manual, hand vacuum?

Edit: woody must type faster :mrgreen:

Pool store gave me a chemical that is supposed to bind the particles, make them sink for easy vacuuming. Apparently I have to wait 12 hours to vacuum. Pool store says if water is not clearer by tomorrow morning after putting in this binder chemical, pool will likely have to be drained.

What they sold you is called floc, or flocculant. It's generally not needed. Just use your manual vacuum and keep removing the dirt. The filter will also help remove the mess as well. You need to have some pool owner patience or whats also known as POP. This only happened yesterday, correct? Drain the pool, thats non-sense. It will take a bit, but you can clear it. I wouldn't use the floc, it will make a bigger mess than what you have now.

Reactions: csn
So, I vacuumed to waste, water is still cloudy but if you stand on the side you can see the deep end. From my bedroom window, you cannot. Anyhow, the pool store is run by my PB and they just gave me the flocculant. When I vacuum, it just stirs up the dirt, so how will the chemical make a bigger mess? Also, how can I tell if an algae bloom from the heavy rain is not partly causing the cloudiness? The reason I ask is we had one a couple weeks ago after a heavy rain. No mud though. The mud is from my neighbor removing the concrete slab under his eaves trough drain, thus creating a huge mudhole which ran under the fence into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did use the floc, three times and the water appears clear. Problem is, once you are in, and use goggles it has a hazy look to it now that we never had before. No more dirt appears to be piling up on the bottom. Any idea what would cause the 'hazy' looking water? Water looks clear from outside the pool.

If your cleaner has a filter screen on the water inlet like my Polaris does, you may want to check it eventually to be sure it is clear of floc.

Though I've never used floc, I suspect that the prior owner did, for I found some gummy clear stuff in the inlet filter screen of the Polaris when I checked that after the pressure relief valve failed. No evidence that it caused the failure as far as I can tell, but it could have helped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.