New pool installed today - is it safe for the kids to swim?

omster

Jul 22, 2010
Midland, MI
Newbie pool owner needs some help! :?

The pool installers came today and installed our 33' AG pool this morning. We're now filling it with water.
We expect it to be filled by mid-Saturday - is it okay to start using, or do we need to do something to it first?

Also, what should I use to fill in the empty area around the pool when they excavated? I have lots of sod and sand leftover from the installation.

Sorry for such newbie questions, but this is our first pool and a big investment - I want to make sure things are done right.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Our pool setup:
- 33' AquaLeader Influence
- Hayward Power-Flo LX pump
- Aqua Smarte cycler & mineral reservoir package (model 6700)
- Kontiki auto-vac (?)

TIA!

Welcome to the site & congrats on your new pool! Do yourself a favor and read Pool School. The link to it is in the upper right hand of the page. Like you said its a big investment so you want to care for it correctly. Pool school will enable you to do just that.
Using your pooll now is not an issue. We started using ours as soon as the water was deep enough to splash in. Did the pool come with any type of startup kit? You will need to get a test kit and all the proper chemicals. Again Pool School is your friend and will lead you down the right path.
Got any pics of the pool?

Cya and chlorine to start. See the cya/chlorine chart and the calculator in pool school. Did you order one of the recommended test kits yet????????????????????????????????
You said you wanted to do it right! Only way to accurately know what your numbers are. Get a gallon of muriatic acid while you're buying bleach and cya/conditioner. Did they give you a cheapie test so at least you can get the PH in the ballpark?

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! :shock:

Ok, the kids are eager to try out the new pool - so as soon as the water level is right, I guess it's safe to let them swim (?)

And I do plan on spending a lot of time reading through the pool school and the forums, just had to get the above question answered quickly :-D

There was no test kit included with the setup, should I go ahead and get what seems to be the popular TF100?
And how long can I go before I need to start doing things to the water? I'm filling it with water from our pipe (city water) and the filtration/pump system was described as the "lazy man's" because it supposedly does a lot of the work for you...

Again, TIA!

Yep let them kids have at it!. Sanitation is going to be needed right away. I did a quick google on the Aqua Smart. It sounds like once you have your water balanced you start it up and it is supposed to keep things balanced. So stabilizer, chlorine and muriatic acid should be on the top of your list. Also get familiar with the http://www.poolcalculator.com/. It will let you know how much of each chemical your pool needs. The TF100 is very highly recomended.

Ok, thanks very much for your help - the kids will be glad to hear they can jump in :cheers:

I'll go ahead and order the TF100 and check out all the links mentioned above, and dive into the pool school as well.

Here are some quick pics of the install...
[attachment=2:3qznd3v7]AHS_2461.jpg[/attachment:3qznd3v7]
[attachment=1:3qznd3v7]AHS_2462.jpg[/attachment:3qznd3v7]
[attachment=0:3qznd3v7]AHS_2463.jpg[/attachment:3qznd3v7]

Attachments

• AHS_2461.jpg
    AHS_2461.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 125
  • AHS_2462.jpg
    AHS_2462.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 125
  • AHS_2463.jpg
    AHS_2463.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 125
More installation pics...
[attachment=2:b1dk7xj3]AHS_2464.jpg[/attachment:b1dk7xj3]
[attachment=1:b1dk7xj3]AHS_2465.jpg[/attachment:b1dk7xj3]
[attachment=0:b1dk7xj3]AHS_2466.jpg[/attachment:b1dk7xj3]

Attachments

• AHS_2464.jpg
    AHS_2464.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 123
  • AHS_2465.jpg
    AHS_2465.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 123
  • AHS_2466.jpg
    AHS_2466.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 122
Sweet setup....picked my pool up tonight...checked the list to make sure everything was there. They should have given you some kind of a starter kit that will have the "dip style" sticks. While these are not very accurate...they will at least be something until your test kit arrives. My wife is madder than you know what....I tore down the old 18 foot intex to be ready when the installers arrive and it is gonna be really hot here this weekend! Uggh cant win for losing...but at least you will be cool tomorrow....congrats!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.