Soft spots in the floor

Jul 16, 2007
Indiana
I have a vinyl liner IG pool.

While I was out enjoying the pool yesterday I found a spot where the floor felt soft, an area about 4" around or so and perhaps tapered down to 1/4" deep. I could press it down a bit more with my thumb. Then I noticed several other areas with that felt like that. When I closed the pool last night I could see these recessed/soft areas clearly with the light on.

The year we had the pool put in we bought a "Torpedo" toy, you throw it underwater and it shoots along pretty quickly. After a few uses of that thing I saw (also at night with the light on) a lot of little craters pock marking the pool floor where the torpedo had hit. That thing was quickly gotten rid of. I mention this because the floor was soft enough for the torpedo to dent but felt solid under foot. Now in several areas the floor feels kind of soft.

All I can think of is that the ground water has worked its way through the pool base stuff that shapes the floor and has created these soft spots. Seems odd though, we havn't had enough rain to fill a thimble all summer, could the heat we've been having do anything to the pool base? (my water was at 96 degrees for quite a while)

Thanks, Dennis

I know it's not sand. When they were putting the pool in in I saw a rough looking blob of cement at first then they were mixing some stuff with water and troweling it in, I take it this must be vermiculite.

Man, you're quick! Dennis

Yeah, it sounds like vermiculite and portland cement...sometimes called poolkrete by brand.

That product will dent by it's nature. In fact, that characteristic is desireable in a vinyl pool so the liner has some "give" if struck sharply by a hard object.

The dents you see (aside from the torpedo) might well be heel dents from jumping in the pool. Anyway, it's the nature of the beast and it's done on purpose. Looks really horrible at night, doesn't it?

Ground water is irrelevant to the denting...it's gonna' do it regardless. YOur PB should've told you in advance...it causes a lot of alarm in people when they turn on their lighting.

Dave,

Thanks, this indeed was causing me some concern. I knew the topedo could dent the stuff, but when I started seeing the bigger areas I thought it was something more.

I guess when the liner needs to be replaced you could trowell in some more stuff and start with a nice new botton too!

Thanks again, Dennis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.