Loosening ORTEGA copper valve and replacing with PVC valve?

Jun 21, 2008
Hello everyone, the return to my main and small pool is 2inch copper pipe with an ORTEGA brass valve. It seems stuck. I removed the 4 screws that hold the front and carefully pried the valve half way out, and it would not come out any more. I didn't want to force it so I tapped it back in place.
Looks like most new installs are 2inch PVC, so if I pull the brass valve out and break it, can a PVC valve replace it even if the pipe remains copper? Reason I ask is that the local repair shops won't do copper, they offered me to cut off the copper and replace everything with PVC, which is more labor than I can afford right now.

Thanks for advice.

You need to have enough room for the copper to PVC conversion fitting on both sides. Usually you need to connect a threaded metal adapter to the copper and then screw on a threaded PVC fitting and then glue PVC to that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.