1 week old plaster - when to start raising CH?

This BBB stuff works!

I'm a new pool owner - just put water in a week ago.
Got some great advice on the forum, and it's really cool to add the acid, see the pH and TA go down, then bring pH back up with aeration.
Very confidence inspiring.

FC was low today (.5) so I added my first liquid bleach treatment (based on pool calculator).

My question is this: CH was 130 when I tested on Monday, and I know I need to raise it. Is it OK to start adding calcium chloride yet?

SF

I would say no to raising the calcium at this point in time.

My PB said not to even bother testing for 4 weeks, and the plaster OEM states in their start up procedures to wait "several" weeks (whatever several is/are?).

The CH should continue to rise as the pool ages, you brush the walls, etc.

Don't adjust CH or TA for 30 days. No need to aerate to raise PH, the plaster curing will do that alone.

Simple keep the PH at 7.4-7.6 with acid, the TA may rise on it's own too and the acid will keep it in check.

Have you added CYA? Bleach and CYA should be added slowly with new fill.

Have you read the Pool School article on Startup New Plaster?

Thank you for the information.

We run our spa waterfall a good bit, which gets my pH rising, so I have been using acid to control pH (and TA as a side effect).

I added my first batch of CYA today (socks in the skimmers).

I have indeed read the Startup article in pool school (many times in fact!). As a newbie, I'm never certain if I am that special case with
oddball water readings. My pool is in direct sun, getting a lot of use, and it is really going through the liquid chlorine right now.

SF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.