High copper level in pool??

May 26, 2010
Good afternoon-

I am having a high copper content problem in my 17,500 gl ig pool. I have gone to local pool company and was told that my heater, a Minimax NT 400 is probably the culprit. Is there any way to test besides piping in a bypass to heater? Unit is 5 years old and not used that often. Any ideas?? Thanks to all.

Thanks for the replies. No copper based algicides that I know of. Have to add metal out every other day. Water is tested every 3 days at local pool co. We don't go to the big box stores anymore as the kids behind counters don't have a clue... All other chemicals are good and stabile. This all started about 3 weeks ago.

However, could this be a cause?? I replaced my CCP320 cart. filter with a Hayward 24" sand filter about 4 weeks ago. I used Zeobrite instead off sand after reading all the stuff on the net about it. Seemed to be a good product?? Coincidence or culprit?? Water is clearer than my old cart. filter with new filters!

HELP!!!! My saga continues. I have bypassed the heater and run pool for 48 hours with metal out and then ascorbic acid to delete stains and any residual copper in pool. Pool chemistry came back clean. Took water this morning to have tested again after lots of kids in pool over weekend and my copper/metal is back. There is a small spot of rust on the deep end stairs where the bolt attaches the step. Could this be the problem??? What is the wet niche for a Pentair SAM Light made from? Over the last 7 years, the plating has dissapeared and the outer ring that attaches thru the liner is now a bronze looking ring. This is not the removable light, but the outer ring that is bolted thru the pool. I called Pentair and they said it is stainless steel. I cannot find the answer on the web anywhere. ANY HELP PLEASE. I am ready to shoot a hole thru the bottom. Thanks All for your help

You didn't really think "Metal Out" did what it's name implied, did you? :( It's just a sequestrant, and not a very good one at that.

You need to read the Pool School article on metals in your water. You'll find out which sequestrants are the best to use. You also have to continually add maintenance doses of it every few weeks.

The light ring turning bronze looking might be from the copper depositing on it. or it might be a balance issue. Stainless will stain given the right circumstances.

You still need to post a full set of test results.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Iron
Copper

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.