Fiberstars fix

jasonknox

Platinum Supporter
May 4, 2010
SW Georgia
I wrote a thread awhile ago about a problem with my fiberstars and the company would not sell me the parts and said that I had to purchase a new unit.

I decided that if I was going to have to purchase a new unit that I would take the old one apart and see if I could fix it before I purchased the new unit. I am here to tell you that I found all the parts online and purchased them for under $50 including shipping and fixed my illuminator last night and it works perfectly. The wires are not nice and organized like they come from the factory but I don't care. I purchased the capacitor from capacitor king and the ignitor from venture lighting. This replacement parts were identical to the parts in the illuminator. I mean make, model, supplier as well as the sticker on the side of the part were the same. Don't let corporate american fool you into purchasing new stuff when you can fix it lots cheaper. I replaced the ignitor because fiberstars said that that was what my problem was. In fact the ignitor was fine but I cut the lead off to close to the casing to splice it back so I had to purchase another one. I could have fix this for under $25 had I not listen to fiberstars. I guess if fiberstars reads this post I can count on getting a visit from from underwriters laboratory.

jasonknox,

i am having exactly the same problem. i also called fiberstars and they are asking for over $400 to send out a replacement box. unfortunately the damage to the capacitor makes it impossible for me to determine the capacitor value. i'm hoping we have the same illuminator box (v6008) and that you can remember the size of the capacitor you ordered so i can also order it from Capacitor King.

looking forward to your response.

thediyguy said:
jasonknox,

i am having exactly the same problem. i also called fiberstars and they are asking for over $400 to send out a replacement box. unfortunately the damage to the capacitor makes it impossible for me to determine the capacitor value. i'm hoping we have the same illuminator box (v6008) and that you can remember the size of the capacitor you ordered so i can also order it from Capacitor King.

looking forward to your response.

Depending on fiber capacity, you can replace the Fiber systems with the nexus lighting LED drivers. Longer bulb life, cooler, no moving parts, and I think they should only be around $300 from a reasonable retailer.

http://www.nextstepproduct.com/SAVI/X-S ... river.html

thediyguy
I just called Capacitor King and they said I ordered a Capacitor with part number 16330. It is under the MH Pulse Start section on their home page (16UF 330 volt 150 watt; $14.90). This one was identical to the one that came out of my 6005 even down to the label on the capacitor. If I'm not mistaken it cost almost as much to ship it as it did to purchase it, but what do ya do.

Jasonknox, thanks for all of the info.

I ordered and fitted the capacitor on its own and everything powered up and is looking good. $15 for the replacement part and $15 for 2 day shipping. Everything is back to normal for $30 as opposed to the $400 replacement part that Fiberstars was going to sell me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.