Pentair Compool 3600 Err 5

Jul 21, 2010
I'm getting Err 5 on my control panel, according to the manual:
Display shows “Err 5”
If there is a short at the Spa-side Remote, the display will show “Err 5” and the Remote Control
is disabled (see L.E.D. behind right door of Contol Panel).
 Replace Spa-side Remote switch

Has anyone 'fixed' this issue, by not acutually replacing the remote. perhaps reconnecting some wires?
any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

No, you must replace the switch with the wire.
You also need to verify that it is the Spa side remote, and not the board.

The switches fail in one of three ways:
They go completely dead, and don't do anything.
They do erratic things(turn stuff on and off) from time to time.
They act as if someone is constantly pushing the buttons. This will generate an Err 05 in 30 seconds.

The third is the easiest to rule out the board. What you do is open the panel(Phillips), and find the remote buss at the bottom with 6 wires connected. Kill the power to the board and take the whole buss off (will expose pins). Turn the panel back on. Clear the Err 05. If you get an Err 5 in 30 seconds, its the board. You can see how ruling out the board with the other 2 possibilities will be harder, or take more time rather. 9 times out of 10, it's the switch and not the board. But i had to give you that disclaimer.

The switch comes in 3 colors, Blk, Wht, and Gry. So order to match.

When you are ready, Make sure there is "slack" where the wire comes out of the conduit at the equipment.
You may also want to lower the water level in the spa to the bottom of the tile (depending where your switch is).
If your button is round, unscrew it and pull the button out (pulls in the slack at the other end).
If your button is oval, pry it off,(should be siliconed) and pull out.
Next, put the automation (3600) in service mode.
Cut the (old) switch off the wire, and discard.
Now you're going to use the wire in the conduit as a fish-tape.
Attach the new cord to the spa-end of the "fish-tape", and pull the new wire through. Tip: strip back the wires so the connection has a lower profile, so it will slide easily through the conduit.
Hook up the wires the same as the old(colors).
New switch will be siliconed in at the spa side.

If you can post a pic of the conduit in the spa after you remove the switch, I may be able to show you a quick, clean, way to mount the new switch.

Good luck.

Reactions: Pacific Pools
socalsurfer said:
Having the same problem with a 3800. Went through a hugely expensive process of replacing the remote. Long story. Seeing the same problem - err5 - at the panel. Can I safely rule this a board problem?

Old post, maybe you have cleared up your problem by now...

Did you clear the error 5 message after the new switch was installed? (Just push the "remote control" button a few times till the error goes away, and the light is on)

The error code wont clear itself, even when a new switch is hooked up.

I would still disconnect the switch from the board and test just to verify. Who knows if the pool pro sold you a new switch, or re installed an old one. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.