New to this forum

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and have just ordered a T-100 test kit. Right now I am using a combination of trichlor pucks and liquid bleach. I have a small amount of green around the edges of the pool floor. Once I get my test kit I will post results.

Got my Taylor's test kit and here are the results:

FC 13
CC 0
TC 13
PH 7.8
TA 300
CH 200
CYA 30

The pool had alot of green on the bottom yesterday so I vaccumed and shocked up to 13. Overnight FC drop test still shows FC at 13 this morning. Most of the green has cleared out overnight. My CYA is a bit low so I was thinking of running with TriChlor for the rest of the season...till early September. This would help lower my PH too which is also a bit high. What do you all think ?

If you begin using the trichlor pucks, I suggest calculation how many it would take to raise the CYA to the level you want, then retest CYA at that point. It may not have gotten that high, since there is some loss of CYA over time, but you do want to be on top of that. And you will keep up on daily or every other day tests of FC since depending on how it is added, you may need a small chlorine boost via bleach or something to keep the levels up. I do notice that TA is high, and MA could lower that which would also help keep pH from rising so fast.

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: This quote doesn't seem quite right...
The pool had alot of green on the bottom yesterday so I vaccumed and shocked up to 13. Overnight FC drop test still shows FC at 13 this morning. Most of the green has cleared out overnight.
A pool with visible algae should have consumed a lot, if not all of that chlorine. You must have added some chlorine or had a testing error.

Chlorine kills algae but in doing so, it is consumed.....your FC should have dropped if it cleared up the algae.

I hear ya', but something is still not right.

Vacuuming does not remove nearly all the algae from a pool. Chlorine does and you should've experienced a drop in your chlorine. How does your water look now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest just chalking up that FC non-loss to one of those unexplained mysteries. My point in bringing all that up along with your water quality is whether or not you need to shock. I'm still not really sure.

Perhaps the best thing would be to simply elevate your FC somewhat (around 4-6ppm) and keep it there for the next few days. Then do another overnight FC loss test and see what you get. I'm thinking that elevated FC will help clear out any remaining algae and should have your pool sparkling soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.