Joliet, Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

So here's the scenario. Someone at work was talking about his pool and pool water and he happened to mention that his Ph will drop over time do to the rain being acidic.

I replied that I had heard this before, but don't know if it's true (in theory it sounds good enough). I then asked him what type of chlorine he uses (pucks) and what his TA was (he didn't know).

I left it at that (as most pool owners don't want to hear about BBB until they're ready) but it did get me wondering...

...what's our rain? We've been getting a TON of it...and I mean a TON. What's the Ph? Acid rain is rain having a Ph of 5.6 or lower.

I collected the rain water in a glass and tested it today. Ph -7.2, TA 20

What's yours?

dan

Most rain is at least somewhat acid, but it is a weak acid and won't usually change the PH very much. Further the aeration from the rain can sometimes end up raising the PH if your TA is on the high side and/or your PH is on the low side.

Unless you live by a paper mill (and some other specific industrial areas) in which case the rain can be VERY acidic - these are only exceptions to the rule, the rule is as Jason pointed out above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.