Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acidic rain, is it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Acidic rain, is it?

Hi all,

So here's the scenario. Someone at work was talking about his pool and pool water and he happened to mention that his Ph will drop over time do to the rain being acidic.

I replied that I had heard this before, but don't know if it's true (in theory it sounds good enough). I then asked him what type of chlorine he uses (pucks) and what his TA was (he didn't know).

I left it at that (as most pool owners don't want to hear about BBB until they're ready) but it did get me wondering...

...what's our rain? We've been getting a TON of it...and I mean a TON. What's the Ph? Acid rain is rain having a Ph of 5.6 or lower.

I collected the rain water in a glass and tested it today. Ph -7.2, TA 20

What's yours?

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Most rain is at least somewhat acid, but it is a weak acid and won't usually change the PH very much. Further the aeration from the rain can sometimes end up raising the PH if your TA is on the high side and/or your PH is on the low side.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Unless you live by a paper mill (and some other specific industrial areas) in which case the rain can be VERY acidic - these are only exceptions to the rule, the rule is as Jason pointed out above.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4
    I still wasn't expecting it to fall into the acceptable range for my pool.

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG