are these reagents equivalent?

Jun 5, 2009
I need to refill the tiny bottle of Phenol Red in my Taylor test kit. The number on the little bottle is R-0004. I thought I was ordering the same thing (from Leslies) and the 2 oz bottle says R-1003J. Its labeled pH Indicator Solution, Phenol Red. Is it the same??

TIA!

Heather

Sorry, I don't think so :(

The R0004 supports the acid and base demand tests and I'm pretty sure the others don't.

The color may turn the right shade for the comparator (again, not sure - the concentration may be off for the water sample size)

R-1003J is designed for an 11.5 ml test cell, while R-0004 is designed for a 44 ml test cell, so the concentrations are very different. I'm fairly sure that if you use four times as much R-1003J as you would have used of R-0004 that it will behave the almost exactly the same. A quick test with both reagents should be able to confirm that fairly easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.