Bad pressure gauge? Or what?

May 18, 2008
Sacramento, CA area
Everything seems normal. Water is going into the skimmer at what seems like a normal pace. I can feel water flowing in at the returns at what feels like a normal pace. I emptied the skimmer basket (not much in it). I checked the pump basket and cleaned it out (there wasn't much of anything in there, either), lubed and replaced the lid. I don't see any air in the pump basket. I don't see any air coming out the returns. Everything sounds normal, too. But my pressure gauge is acting wonky.

It started this afternoon when I went to switch the pump from low to high (manual toggle switch). The gauge usually jumps up immediately, but the needle on the dial was moving very, very sloooowly. It finally reached the normal pressure point for high after about a minute or so, and stayed there. Everything seemed to be working normally. But when I changed it back to low later on, the gauge didn't move at all (I haven't tried putting it on high again as I'm not sure what the problem is and don't want to make it worse if there is a problem). I just have it turned off right now (it's night here).

I'm thinking maybe it's the pressure gauge. Do they go bad often? This one is less than a year old. I think we have the old one somewhere in the garage. There was nothing wrong with it when we replaced it. We had put on a new multi-port valve last fall and it came with a new gauge, so we used that one. If we can find it, we'll try changing the gauge to the old one to see if that fixes it.

Otherwise, I'll probably be back for advice. But in the meantime, I'm wondering what you guys think. It seems odd to me that everything certainly seems to be working normally, but the gauge is staying at zero on low, and is rising very slowly on high.

I'd try putting the gauge you have on it and see if it acts normally. I have a feeling it will. You can buy better gauges if you're so inclined. Filled gaues with bottom mounts are better to use. They're not as prone to freezing and are of better quality than the stock gauges you get from the pool store.

Well, it seems to be working now. Apparently, the gauge was clogged. When we took it off, the hole on the end was plugged with some sort of yellow substance (probably pollen?). We blew it out with canned air and put it back on, and now it's reading pressure normally. We keep a sock on the skimmer for pollen (we get pollen year-round here), but I noticed yesterday that it had developed a hole, so it probably wasn't catching the pollen like it should have been. I'll replace that today, too.

Thanks for the advice, guys! You eased my anxiety about this. ;) :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.