How to recover from mosquitoe chemicals

Jun 21, 2008
After a chain of events, our pool was doused with GB 1111 and Altosid, which I do not know anything about but used for mosquito control.
Trying to recover, i see my pH level OK and ppm TOTAL ALKANITY OK, but the chlorine level drops down to 0, after just a couple of days of being OK.
I also see and feel hard mineral, kind of like hard water minerals in the bathroom, on the sweeper hoses and body.
I am also reading about Cyanuric Acid, which I never used or needed to measure before. Unless I am mistaken, Muriatic Acid is the one I've used occasionally.

The local pool services want to drain, acid wash, refill and start new. I know they want-need the business, but, is it really necessary? The puzzling thing for me is the chlorine level dropping to 0 after only a day or two.

Thanks for any advice.

ElGuito said:
After a chain of events, our pool was doused with GB 1111 and Altosid, which I do not know anything about but used for mosquito control.
Trying to recover, i see my pH level OK and ppm TOTAL ALKANITY OK, but the chlorine level drops down to 0, after just a couple of days of being OK.
I also see and feel hard mineral, kind of like hard water minerals in the bathroom, on the sweeper hoses and body.
I am also reading about Cyanuric Acid, which I never used or needed to measure before. Unless I am mistaken, Muriatic Acid is the one I've used occasionally.

The local pool services want to drain, acid wash, refill and start new. I know they want-need the business, but, is it really necessary? The puzzling thing for me is the chlorine level dropping to 0 after only a day or two.

Thanks for any advice.
Drops to zero from what? If chlorine started at 3 or 4, I'd expect to see zero in two days....

How do you chlorinate? Liquid, granular, a floater with pucks? You may have massive calcium or CYA buildup. Calcium will definately leave scale, like you get on the shower head, because it's the same stuff. If CH or CYA is really high, draining the pool is the easiest option. And if you have a bunch of mineral buildup, they'll have to drain it to remove the scale.

We need a full set of test results to advise you with anything more than a guess.

I'd drain and refill and that is mainly because of the GB 1111 since it is a hydrocarbon.

As for the acid washing, that is hard to say. It sounds like you have some pretty good scaling going on there and this may be indicated. Acid washing does take some life off of your plaster though and by doing so, you would be that much closer to needing new plaster anyway.

What do the rough spots look like and do you have any pictures?

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies.
From my measuring kit, the chlorine -ppm FREE CHLORINE reads 10 after I refresh it, because it was going low so fast, I tried liquid, the boxes with two gallon jugs; I have the floater loaded with 4 of the 3inch tablets (which usually was good on normal days) and now I added the fine powder from the bags, 2 each time.
Here are my results:
pH - 8
ppm FREE CHLORINE - 0.5 (was 10 when I added it last night)
ppm TOTAL ALKALINITY - 120
ppm STABILIZER - 150

I did drain the smaller pool and found only small amounts of green powdery stuff; the smaller pool, which should have been the spa, runs completely connected and on the same installation as the main pool.
The rough, lime seems to be only on the plastics (sweeper hose, floaters, sweeper body)

Attachments

• Pool20070719c.jpg
    Pool20070719c.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Pool20070719a.jpg
    Pool20070719a.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 93
Well, I'm not seeing anything that looks like scaling but it's hard to tell without seeing it in person.

So is the plaster smooth to the touch?

Again, thanks for the speedy replies. The plaster in the small pool (which I drained) and the main pool feels normal, it is only on plastic components, the Polaris tubing, floaters, connectors, etc. which have a covering of what feels like large grains of sand but you have to rub hard for it to come off.

I am making progress thou; I know every environment is different, but in my case, adding half a bottle (about 16 fluid ounces) of a product called GOLD-N-CLEAR created a thick and slimy floating foam that we kept scooping out, and removing from the skimmer.
Although not crystalline yet, the water looks much better than when we found it with those heavy mosquito control chemicals.

Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.