How do you store your Muriatic Acid?

Jun 22, 2010
Frisco, Texas
Was wondering how other people store their Muriatic Acid safely? I currently keep it in the box it came in up high on a shelf in my garage pushed to the back so that nobody but myself can get to it. I am curious to hear if there are better ways to store it.

Thanks

Muriatic acid is fairly easy to store. It can handle a wide temperature range. The only crucial step is to make completely sure that no muriatic acid ever comes in contact with any bleach. Store bleach and acid far enough apart that they won't get to each other even if both bottles leak. For total safety what you do is put the muriatic acid bottle in a bin/bucket, so any leaks are caught in the bin. The bin isn't really essential but it will protect you floor if the bottle ever leaked.

I keep mine in a plastic bucket. I had a jug leak a couple of years ago. I use the bucket to dilute the acid when I add it to the pool.

Long time ago, before pool, we had muriatic acid on a metal shelf in the garage. Very hot here in TX. Over time, the acid escaped the jug and ate through the shelves. Thank goodness we noticed before it fell on to the car.

I store mine in a Rubbermaid bench box. It's right next to my bleach but...it sits in a box by itself so that if the bottle(s) are compromised, the interior box will retain the materials and keep them separate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.