New pool - startup chemical question

Hello,

The plaster company did an acid wash on our Pebble-Tec yesterday morning, and we filled it with water.

I put some sequestrant in the pool this morning and gave it a good brushing.

I'm following the 'Acid Wash Opening' in the Pool School link, and just want to verify that I'm on the right track.

I have a SWG, but I know not to turn that on for 30 days. TF-100 test kit should be here any day. I'm also loaded up on bleach, borax and baking soda - BBB all the way!

Although the plaster company used muriatic acid to clean the Pebble-Tec, they did this before water went in it and vacuumed it all out.
Do I need to add some muriatic acid today before brushing it again this evening? And if so, do I use the 3.5 gallons acid/10K gallons of water formula?

Thank you!

SF

You only need to add acid if the pool pH test is higher than 7.8 which is really important especially with new plaster. While you are waiting to get the TF-100 you might want to take a sample to the pool store if you have one and let them give you test results. Just because they added acid to acid wash does not give you an indication of what your current water chemistry is, you have to get a test done. Once you know the results then you can go to the pool calculator and determine what to put in.

First and foremost, you should follow the PB's instructions. It can and will affect your warranty if you don't.

You only need muriatic acid to adjust your pH IF it's high enough to need it.

The problem with the SWCG is not turning it on before 30 days it's adding the salt to the pool before 30 days.

Not to contradict Bama, but I had a horrible pool builder. Not with building the pool but with communicating with me on what to do just after filling. I did not hear from him for about a week. During that week I was doing research and found out I was supposed to be brushing and maintaining the chemistry. He never told me any of this until I called him a week later and he said, "I didn't tell you to brush the pool and watch the pH?". I was a little upset. So just be cautious and ask lots of questions.

OK - here are the TF-100 readings:

FC - 0.5
CC - 1.5
PH - 7.4
TA - 190
CH - 130
CYA - 0

As a reminder, this is a brand new pool with no chemicals added yet except for about 16 oz. of sequestrant.
We filled with water hoses using city water - fairly hard water in this part of Texas.

I think I need to add acid to lower TA, but this will also lower PH, so I'll need to aerate (spa waterfall) to bring PH back up.
Just my guess from reading Pool School.

Any and all recommendations appreciated!

SF

Water is starting to look a little cloudy.

Really interested to hear what the next steps are from a BBB perspective as I open my new pool.

Test results repeated here:
FC - 0.5
CC - 1.5
PH - 7.4
TA - 190
CH - 130
CYA - 0

Do these look normal for startup numbers? What's next?

Thank you very much!

SF

You numbers look good.

Once it has been 48 hours since the pebble tec was applied you can start using trichlor tablets to add chlorine and CYA slowly. Trichlor tablets work well during the first 30 days after fresh plaster is applied as you usually need all three things that they do (add chlorine, add CYA, and lower PH).

Keep an eye on the PH and try to never let it get up to 8.0, ie lower the PH to 7.2 any time it gets to 7.8 or 7.9.

Thanks a ton Jason. It just so happens that I have an aerobic septic system, so I have some 3" Trichlor pucks sitting in my garage.
I put 1 puck in each skimmer.

I do have some granular CYA, but it sounds like you are saying I should not use it yet (?).

I am still having a lot of rock work done and there is a lot of dust as they are sawing rocks right next to the pool. I think I'll
be contending with this dust until this work is complete.

Thanks again!

SF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.