Intex pools, this is how to run the skim and main together

Jul 9, 2010
Bixby oklahoma
So I upgraded to the 2500gph on my 18' easy set, and the one thing I always hated was how I could only run the skimmer or the main strainer and it was to high in my opinion. Well now I can do both at the same time and draw suction from the bottom of the pool

As all Intex owners know, the fittings arent exactly universal, however there is something you can do to make life easier. This first picture show the thru wall fittings. I got 2 new ones with my new pump so I didnt have to remove my others until the swap out. The outer threads are a standard 4" thread albeit a little to short for a good fit. The inner thread is just a bit to small for a standard 3" fitting. So this is how you make it work. Take a dremel, file, knife, anything to make the hole bigger and remove enough material for a standard 1 1/2 coupling to fit. Once you do that anything is possible. the one on the left has the coupling installed the right one is for reference. I didnt glue the coupling because it fits real tight.
ilwpxt.jpg

now what I have in this pic is the thru wall fitting installed and plumbing for the skimmer and "main" drain. you can see that what I did was immediately install a 1 1/2" Y and then the valves. The valve for the skimmer is 1" because I found that the skimmer tube fits perfectly on a 1" coupling. As for the strainer at the bottom I used an extra thru wall fitting with the standard strainer attached and since the fitting that would normally be outside the pool is a standard 2" thread, adapting it to 1 1/2" was easy. If I had a metal frame pool I would put the elbow on after the Y and then the valve to keep it closer to the wall.
close up of valves
2wdae4x.jpg

whole thing
2h3yc6r.jpg

nothing is glued to make removal easy and a union unnecessary, plus it all fits tight enough to hold with out glue. I plan to do something similar on the return so I can have a pipe come up above the water for a fountain and one for normal return.

This should be possible for any Intex pool that has these thru wall fittings.

Re: Intex pools, how to run the skimmer and main together

I was just grumbling to myself about this exact issue last night. I see all the "bits" floating through the pool light, and wonder why I cant use both!
:goodjob: You win the prize in my book!

Does the skimmer still work as well as it did before? The deluxe skimmer I ordered is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm a little concerned that all the water flowing to my pump will be from the top of the pool. Is this how it works in a regular AGP? I have thought about drilling holes in the adapter that fits into the strainer outlet so that water would flow to the pump from the top and the middle of the pool. My concern with this is that it would reduce the effectiveness of the skimmer or even make it useless. My pump is only 1500 GPH.

How much carving/filing did you have to do to make the thru-the-wall fitting hold the 1.5" coupling? Is filing off the little tabs enough? If it is just a little bit, do you think sanding down the coupling would be enough to make it fit? If I can't get the coupling to work without doing a partial drain and taking the thru-the-wall fitting out, I may just have to deal with it this year and make the change next year when I put the pool back up.

@ coma

thanks I hope this helps you out! and yes that is why the valves are after the Y. This could be done outside the pool, but I didnt want to cut a hole in the liner or go over the top. So far this has really helped keep stuff off the bottom.

@rg

I can shut off the "main" drain and run the skimmer all by itself if I wish. If both are wide open there isnt enough suction for the skimmer to work. What I do is close the main valve until the skimmer starts to work as much as I want it to. Really is doesnt take much to make it work. Removing just the tabs isnt enough. I would say that I remove somewhere between an 1/8 and 1/16 of an inch all the way around. It would be to hard to do this with the fitting installed in the liner. However swapping them out was no big deal at all. What I did was put a short piece of pipe in the custom fitting with a cap on it. Then I removed the old one and put the new one in its place. Having someone there to help would be handy, but it can be done. My 1500gph died so I cant test out how well it would work with that pump. I would imagine the suction wouldnt be to great.

I wonder if a pvc coupling would fit over the skimmer hose adapter (1.25"?). If so, I could set up something similar without having to take out the threaded strainer connector. If not, Threaded Strainer Connector (06NF-02) is cheap at intexstore.com. Shipping is expensive, but adding additional items doesn't bump the price up much.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

rghilliard said:
I wonder if a pvc coupling would fit over the skimmer hose adapter (1.25"?). If so, I could set up something similar without having to take out the threaded strainer connector. If not, Threaded Strainer Connector (06NF-02) is cheap at intexstore.com. Shipping is expensive, but adding additional items doesn't bump the price up much.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

thats a good question. I didnt try that, but I know the skimmer hose fits on both a 1" coupling and tightly on a piece of 1.25" pipe. A 1.25" coupling might fit over the skimmer hose adapter.

good luck!

Very nice! My approach would be to go directly to a 90 then to a T then to the valves. That way I think it would "hug" the wall a little more and have less of a chance being damaged by the kids.

I am wondering....If I screw up the operation, Can the threaded strainer connector be replaced?
This is my first season with a pool and I haven't been brave enough to mess with that.
How hard and what parts would be needed to make another penetration through the pool?

How did you make the through wall part water tight?

You mentioned going over the side, how would you prime that?

The threaded strainer connector that fits the 633 (2500 GPH) and 635 (1500 GPH) pumps can be purchased from Intex at http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetail ... ductID=221. Another option is to use Hose Adapter B (SK-15) that can be ordered from Intex at http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetail ... ductID=139. That is the adapter that comes with the deluxe skimmer. A 1-1/4" pvc coupling fits really well onto this adapter. From there it is easy to use 1-1/4" pvc or step it up or down with bushings or reducing couplings.

Also, the 1-1/2" hose that goes from the skimmer to the adapter fits really well into a 1-1/4" coupling. The outside diameter of 1-1/4" pvc pipe is 1.66" which is basically the same as the outside diameter of the 1-1/2" Intex skimmer hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Intex pools, this is how to run the skim and main togeth

Hi,

I just made my 1st mod to my intex pool. :lol: And I used the idea from a previous link that linked your idea into his. The mod was adding a second return and a fountain.

I have finished the mods and everything is working fine but I have one question.

Your drain attachment seems to be smaller than mine. Mine is a 2", I could not fit a 1 1/2" coupling into mine, that was to small. I had to buy a 2" coupling and I was barely able to get it in to fit even after I bored it out, I had to pound it in and it only went in maybe a 1/2" . It's holding now just hope it holds long enough.

18'x48" Intex Metal Round Pool
Intex 2000 GPH salt water chlorinator

Thats interesting. Intex must be shipping a different size now. If its tight 1/2" should be ok. worse case it would blow it out into the pool on the return side, just dont close all the valves poolside while the pump is running.

I need to get more pics up of the finish work, for some reason they disappeared.

I'm not sure why mine were 2". I do have the plunge type valve and I do believe those came with the SWG I bought, so maybe thats why it's bigger.

~Professional Pool Floater~
18'x48" Intex Metal Frame-Blue
2500 Intex Krystal Clear SWCG+Pump
Fountain w/ 2nd return

I tried this and it worked well, thanks! I am now thinking of using the 1 1/2" PVC to thread adapter on the intake side and cut its length down enough to allow me to put the screen over it. The main point would be to allow me to screw in the fitting for the vacuum hose and the skimmer. I think this would allow a bit more water flow than the blue Intex skimmer adapter and keep me from having to fight with it to get the hoses on and off. When I get around to it, I'll post if it worked.

Thanks again for the great idea!

In reviewing this thread, I'm not able to see the pictures of the actual setup....I can see the adapter mod pics, but not the others. Any idea where I can get these pictures?

for some reason tiny pic mysteriously deleted those two. Basically after you have made the adapter you would connect a Y then ball valves. after that you can connect everything up as I mentioned in the first post. Ill try and find the pics again but I had a computer problem and lost most of my pictures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.