Solar cover help?

Apr 3, 2010
Hi there. I'm having a bunch of problems because of all the trees in my back yard which my wife will not let me cut down. Right now, my biggest issue is leaves dropping onto the solar cover, sitting in water on top of the cover and turning into a green pool of algae which eventually has to get dumped into the nice sparkly pool unless I remove the cover every few days. Unfortunately we don't always use the pool that often. I've tried hosing the cover off into the skimmer basket, but I have a 30' round pool, so I'm sure you can imagine that with a typical garden hose this doesn't work so well. Usually I just wind up making a big lake at the center of the pool.

One option I am considering (unless you guys have a better idea) is the liquid solar blankets. Do those things really work? I've seen several different types, little fish, or pills that you drop in your pool and it is supposed to create a film to stop the evaporation. I tried them many years ago when they first came out, and I was not impressed, but I'm hoping that they have made improvements. Are some brands/types better then others? I think it would be much easier to let my skimmer basket and vacuum take care of the leaves before they turn to algae, and then there's the added benefit of not having to wrestle off a 30' pool cover.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what my best course of action is!

You should remove the cover every few days anyway, but that's not your question. :(

The liquid solar covers don't work. any ripple in the surface and they're useless.

I have heard of people using a leaf blower to blow the leaves off the solar blanket but I don't know if that'd work for you.

sounds like you really need a leaf cover (net type) and it'll make removal easy, however you should be doing that every second day to get them off before they decompose.
Leaf blower on a 30 foot pool would be near impossibe to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.