Added Salt for "feel"

I'll chime in and say that I also got lots of compliments when I brought my salt up from 500ppm to 2,000ppm a couple weeks ago.

I know part of it is that I keep on top of the ph but after I added the salt, my wife has stopped wearing goggles and I noticed a nephew and a friend of my daughter both playing happilly with their goggles almost half full of water.

I really should find a little time for the borates...

Uh . . . ditto!!! :lol:

We run our pool at around 1800 ppm right now and I'm going to add another bag this weekend. It very definitely makes the water feel softer, hair tangles less, and skin feels smoother when it dries. I swim with my eyes open when I do laps. No more red and burning eyes!

Salting a pool is a terrific improvement.

AnnaK said:
Uh . . . ditto!!! :lol:

We run our pool at around 1800 ppm right now and I'm going to add another bag this weekend. It very definitely makes the water feel softer, hair tangles less, and skin feels smoother when it dries. I swim with my eyes open when I do laps. No more red and burning eyes!

Salting a pool is a terrific improvement.

At risk of sounding like a shill for "Big Salt", I have to agree on the skin and hair tangles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added salt to about 1800 a few weeks ago and really like it. At least one frequent visitor noted a difference without being prompted. I just added water softener salt, and don't have a SWG -- despite having added salt, I'm supposed to still follow the Non-SWG chart for FC/CYA and keep my CYA at 40 instead of going up to 60 or 70 -- is that right??

crek31 said:
despite having added salt, I'm supposed to still follow the Non-SWG chart for FC/CYA and keep my CYA at 40 instead of going up to 60 or 70 -- is that right??
Yes, that's right, because the difference isn't related to the salt but to the more continuous dosing and super-chlorination in the SWG cell.

Just curious about people who use salt for feel instead of SWG. I was considering doing this but my wife and I both hate the taste of salt water pools.

Does 2000ppm of salt or less give that taste?

Will 1000ppm still give a nicer feel to the water? Perhaps that would be less noticed in our mouths when we swallow half the pool swimming. :mrgreen:

The level at which you can taste salt varies from person to person. The average is around 3,000 ppm, but some people can taste salt at much lower levels. Salt for feel uses a level around 2,000 ppm. Most people won't be able to taste that, but maybe one in 1,000 will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.