SWG pool - above ground.

Salt 3100
FC 6.0
CC 0.5
TC 6.5
CYA 55
TA 60
pH 7.65

It was a very hot, sunny week and FC dipped as low as 3.5 one day. It was harder to raise it than I thought it would be since it dipped that low.

I cleaned the cartridge filter today, then I brushed the green stuff so it turned the water a little cloudy around it. But it's mostly still relatively clear. Obviously I need to up the CYA, but don't want to do that if I need to shock it. Upping the CYA should also bring the pH down a bit to its usual 7.5 level.

Should I Shock or up the CYA? If I up the CYA, should I raise the FC even higher? I'm usually around FC 6.0 and CYA 70.

I'm guessing I should probably just let it filter overnight (which I don't usually do), check the water in the morning, and add some CYA if all looks good. Right?

You should shock if you have visible algae. If it is just a couple of patches, then one night at shock level plus brushing the pool will usually take care of it, though it might be a bit more than that. Raise CYA after you are done shocking.

Oops. I hadn't gotten a response so I went ahead and hit the pool with CYA and upped the chlorine just a bit to 7.5. The green patches returned. Fortunately, I read that it takes up to a week for CYA to get saturated into the water so I shocked it with bleach tonight and turned the SWG on Super Chorinating (the highest chlorine production setting).

Here's my new question. Presuming I've knocked it out with this, won't I be left with a pool with a chlorine level of 25 or so? How do I get it to a swimmable level of chlorine? More importantly, WHAT IS A SWIMMABLE LEVEL? Do I get it there by turning off the SWG and just letting it come down?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.