Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Folks

As a result of reading chemgeek's FC/CYA sticky I feel that I have to raise my FC from the usual 2ppm up into the 5-7 range.

Reading that people had issues maintaining higher levels of chlorine especially in sunnier climates (I'm in North Texas) I jacked up my SWCG fairly high thinking it would take a while to get there. As it turns out that little thing is really quite efficient. I jumped from 2.0 to 12, which held overnight, in two days :shock:

I have a CYA level of 40, rising hopefully to about 70 over the next week as the stuff dissolves and I have clicked my SWCG back down to non-testosterone driven levels! The ortho test maxes out at 5, this morning it even went a little red before turning very, very yellow. My question is this...

If you follow the advice of the charts and run an FC above 5 and you are meant to test daily are you performing the FAS/DPD test every day?

My numbers FYI:
Temp: 77F
FC 12 (and raging!)
CC 0
TC 12
TA 120 (and falling slowly)
pH 7.7 (and being beaten into submission with daily doses of acid)
CH 290
CYA 40 (and rising slowly)

A SWG is normally fine with a lower FC level than you need for bleach. If you are using the FC/CYA Sticky see footnote 3. Or you can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to suggest an appropriate FC level.

When running with higher FC levels you do need to use either the full FAS-DPD test or there are some versions of the DPD test that go up to 10.

If you bring your TA down to 80 your PH won't go up nearly as fast. Or you can just keep doing what you are doing now and the TA level will come down over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.