Is my Hayward Navigator broken?

fscott

Feb 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
Hi

When the pump is on with just the skimmer working the pump basket doesn't have any air in it. However when the pool cleaner is going there is a lot of air in the pump basket. I make sure to purge air from the tubing when I put it in. Could there be something wrong with it? A leak hole in the tubing maybe?

Cheers,
Fiona

I hd the same issue until someone on here wrote to put the end of the hose up to the jets and let the jet force all the air out, then I put my hand over the opening and then plug it into the skimmer with very little air getting in.

Ok now this is driving me mad. Have tried all the suggested remedies and then some other ideas I had:

1. Put together tubes under water...check...still lot of air.

2. hold tubes against return jet to fill with water....check...still lot of air.

3. checked tubes for holes, found a couple of tiny ones. Bought 8 new tubes...still lot of air.

4. Slowly added one tube at a time and check pump basket for air...when it gets to 5 or 6 long the air becomes a problem again. Doesn't matter what order I put them together so I don't think there's any holes or issues with bad seals.

My current theory: the pump is having a hard time sucking in enough water to fill the pump basket while the tubes are attached, probably due to reduced flow through the tubes as opposed to the skimmer.

What I don't understand is why this seems to be a recent problem. We had the pump motor replaced a while back but this issue has only arisen months later.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Fiona

Ihad the same issue and then I did the old put the end of the hose on the jet and run water in it to force the air out , then take it out of the water and put my palm over the opening and then jam it into the skimmer opening. Sometimes I still get some air and if it lasts a little to long I slowly open the main drain and then shut it again a few times and then the pressure builds up again. I just wish my navigator would stop getting stuck in different areas of the pool so often!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.