filter problem

May 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Filter was running fine when I turned it on this morning. When I went outside a few minutes ago, it wasn't working — still getting power, but isn't sending water through.

Here's the details:

It's a self-priming Heyward pump. When I turn it on, it ejects some air bubbles into the pool (as usual) and fills the basket catch area. But as the filter starts to fill and the pressure arrow rises to about 5, then it stops drawing water, the arrow drops and I get nothing but the sound of a motor running. Any suggestions?

BTW, after noting the problem, I took apart the filter, hosed down the cartridges (they looked relatively clean) ... I had zapped the pool with a dose of powdered shock early this morning (yes, I know) so it would be ready for swimming this evening, so the wash-off from the cartridges was the murky white of heavily chlorinated water.

And yes, I checked both filter baskets. Both were very clean.

Bama Rambler said:
You're getting air into the pump suction. The o-ring on the pump strainer basket lid. Clean and lube it good and see if that helps. Make sure the skimmer weir(s) is working good too.

will do after I return from a quick run to the store. However, no one touched the pump strainer basket lid between when it was working fine yesterday and when it stopped working this morning. Is it common for the suction to be lost when the device isn't touched?

I lubed the gasket on the pump strainer lid.

Same problem.

So I figure, why I'm lubing this gasket, I'll take care of the one of the filter lid, and I'll apply some new plumber tape on the connections to just to be sure.

Same problem.

Then my wife asks if the tiny toy that my nephew had left in the pool — which was jammed in the skimmer door might be the problem.

Bingo. It was small enough that I hadn't seen it when I cleared out the filter, and enough water seeped into the skimmer when I would turn the filter off to troubleshoot to get things started whenever I flipped the switch.

Lesson learned. When the nephew's in town, always check for his toys.

P.S. — On the plus side, there was no air bubbling into the pool when I started it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.