Algaecide has turned my pool cloudy!!! HELP!

Bama Rambler said:
The fact that your water turned green after adding the algaecide leads me to believe it was copper. Some algaecides have copper and if you were right at the threshold, adding that would have put you over.

kristyj077 said:
Came from Wal-Mart. Product name is Aqua Chem. Algaecide 50%.
Ingredients: Allkyl (c-67% C, 25% C, 7% C, 1%).
dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 50.0%.
Other ingredients 50.0%.
Total 100.0%.
Thats why I asked kristy to post the ingredients. I'm not sure what the "other" ingedianets are, but I would think if it had copper it would be clearly listed.

The pool has been filling up since yesterday morning, it should be filled up by tomorrow morning. In the evenings we can't fill it up cause our neighbors are home and we share the well so if they are using water our pressure will run low. Seems like it takes forever but it's getting there.

As for our well water, yes it does contain iron I know that for sure. I use a pre-fresh filter attached to the water hose to reduce the metals but it doesn't help 100%. The water has not been tested but I am gonna have it tested. When we filled up the pool the first time, when it got about half way full I poured a dab of Metal out into the water and then after it was completely full I added the chlorine tabs into the floater then poured the whole bottle of metal out into the pool and the water was perfect. When we ran the pump there was no sign of iron on the filter, the water was crystal clear. But soon as I added the algaecide a couple of days later, the water foamed a little bit and turn cloudy and it was only a few drops. The water didn't turn a dark green until I added the clorox. It was 5 gallons and coming from the guy that pool place, he said that it was too much clorox and reacted to the metals in the water. Also said that the algaecide from walmart wasn't even half algaecide. Cheap Crud that I won't ever buy again. I will get all my products from the pool place and have the water tested so they will know exactly what I can do.

What products do you recommend to use to help keep iron out. Like I said, before the algaecide, the pool water was fine. But I do believe that the iron might come back eventually which is why I will take a water sample to the pool place and they will probably tell me what to use to keep the iron away. The metal out works pretty well. I noticed a change in just a day or two. And when is the best time to add it to the water before or after chlorine is added?

kristyj077 said:
I will get all my products from the pool place and have the water tested so they will know exactly what I can do.

What products do you recommend to use to help keep iron out. Like I said, before the algaecide, the pool water was fine. But I do believe that the iron might come back eventually which is why I will take a water sample to the pool place and they will probably tell me what to use to keep the iron away. The metal out works pretty well. I noticed a change in just a day or two. And when is the best time to add it to the water before or after chlorine is added?
Due to the first statement I won't attempt to make any recommendations. The reason is that our advice and the pool store advice will conflict in a lot of areas and if you're getting recommendations from us and the pool store it's just going to confuse you and you'll become very frustrated.

If you're set on getting your advice from the pool store then you should stick to them. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, we just know what happens when you try to listen to two different philosophys. All you do is become very frustrated and won't enjoy your pool anymore and enjoying your pool is what it's all about!

I have to agree, it would become frustrating. The closest pool supply store isn't that far away, thank goodness. I actually didn't think there was on within 30 minutes but there is and I've heard from people they are really good with helping people maintain their pools so I think that they will be some big help.

This is the first time I have ever had to deal with a pool and with all the money I have spent on chemicals and learning how iron reacts to chlorine and that cheap chemicals don't work, at least now I know not to just throw stuff into the pool. It sucks that so much water has been drained but I guess that it takes a lot of learning and now I know if I see the first problem, to call someone first before adding anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.