Channel lock???

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
For the life of me, I cannot remember if that is what this is called but I'll include a pic.
It's used to hold the liner in where it is loose. Does that make sense?
Anyway, the question is....can I glue that in. Does it come in different sizes?
What I have keeps falling out....see pic.

Thanks

Attachments

• pooll.jpg
    pooll.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 243
  • pooll.jpg
    pooll.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 240
That is called liner lock. How much of it is there already on your pool? It looks like there might have been too much used - typically you only want to use it sparingly because at some point it will create the problem you now have - where it has spread the channel so much that it no longer allows the liner to lock in. I do not know if it comes in different sizes, but I would definitely not glue it in! I have heard people talk about putting pennies, or toothpicks (or other thin pieces of wood) - but only at those places where the liner tends to come out (corners, middle of long wall, etc.)

Whenever I see full length sections of liner lock used it ends up coming loose and comes off like a zipper. If you use liner lock cut it into lenghts no longer than an inch. In your case I'd just rip it all out cut it into pieces and use it where needed since right now it's not helping the liner at all.

When the company who built the pool came and replaced the liner a couple years ago, it was them who put in the long peices of liner lock. They also seem to have every kind of excuse not to fix things too.
Anyway, without something in that cornor the liner just does not stay in at all. So we have to do something.
I was reluctant to push anything in there to hold the liner in but I will try some popscicle sticks or something for now. Toothpics would just not cut it there.
If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

is your coping aluminum or plastic? If it's plastic the track on the coping might be stretched out. If it's aluminum the bead might not be seating in the track all the way. You might have to take the liner of the track there use some hot water or a hairdryer and put it back in the track all the way.

X-PertPool said:
is your coping aluminum or plastic? If it's plastic the track on the coping might be stretched out. If it's aluminum the bead might not be seating in the track all the way. You might have to take the liner of the track there use some hot water or a hairdryer and put it back in the track all the way.

It's plastic....and the liner seems to be in right....the opening is just so wide that it isn't holding in the liner.
I'll check again though just to be sure.

X-PertPool said:
if it ends up being plastic coping you might have a headache on your hands, this is the reason why we mount aluminum track on plastic coping pools so this doesn't happen again.

Can I ask what you mean by "mount aluminum track on plastic coping pools" Is this something we could do that would fix this problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
X-PertPool said:
Basically it's aluminum track that the liner will fit into. You screw it into the pool walls next to the old track that is damaged. Sadly you would probably need to replace the liner to do this repair

Good to know....of course we just replaced the liner 2 seasons ago so we will have to figure something else out in the mean time. So far the popscicle sticks seem to be working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.