Is it necessary/advisable to use a cleaner in a sand filter

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
In one of the classes I have taken it was recommended that we use a cleaner in our sand filters before closing for the season.
Does anyone here do this? Good/bad....
The one that was recommended was Filter perfect by Pool perfect. I use Pool perfect in my pool all season and I do think that helps. We did a bit of an experiment last year, when we ran out during the last 3 weeks of the season we did not replace it. From what I saw as far as scum ring and clarity, it seems to be doing something.
But then I am wondering if we are using Pool perfect all season.....do we really need to use the filter cleaner?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Pool Perfect is an enzyme product that helps break down oils in the water. It is especially useful if you spill paint or oil in the pool, or use a lot of sun tan lotion or tanning oil, but otherwise isn't usually needed.

The sand filter cleaner that you pour in the skimmer while backwashing is only really useful if you have a lot of oil in the filter. That doesn't usually happen, so generally using sand filter cleaner is a waste of time/money. If you have been using Pool Perfect, it will have broken down any oils, so there is no point in using the filter cleaner.

JasonLion said:
Pool Perfect is an enzyme product that helps break down oils in the water. It is especially useful if you spill paint or oil in the pool, or use a lot of sun tan lotion or tanning oil, but otherwise isn't usually needed.

The sand filter cleaner that you pour in the skimmer while backwashing is only really useful if you have a lot of oil in the filter. That doesn't usually happen, so generally using sand filter cleaner is a waste of time/money. If you have been using Pool Perfect, it will have broken down any oils, so there is no point in using the filter cleaner.

Thanks Jason....that is kind of what I figured. Seemed like overkill if I was already using PP. We do have a lot of sun tan lotion/oils going into the pool. It's an outdoor pool and no one seems to grasp that the sun screen doesn't do much except get in the pool....unless you actually let it absorb for 20 minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.