First Test with TF-100

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
My TF-100 kit came today and I just finished my first round of testing. I think that I did everything correctly, I even did the FC test twice because I wasn't sure of it the first time around. I also picked up some bleach at Walmart if needed. Here are the results,

FC - 9ppm (18 drops to clear)
CC - 0.5ppm (1 drop to clear)
TC - 9.5ppm
pH - 7.7
TA - 140 (14 drops turned light pink)
CH - 370 (37 drops to blue)
CYA - 80

Pool temp. ~ 84 degrees

Any suggestions? Right now I have my last 4 pucks dissolving in the chlorinator. Once they are gone I'll be moving over to chlorine so my CYA doesn't increase more. I was a little surprised that the FC is 9ppm since I only have the chlorinator turned up to 2. I'm not sure how that corresponds to anything really though. It goes through 4 pucks in about 5 days. Thanks for the help.

Your FC level is good. With CYA at 80, you want FC to be between 6 an 11, so 9 is just fine.

CC is good (0.5 or lower is good).

PH is fine for now, but see below.

Your TA is a little higher than I would recommend. There isn't any rush, but you should work on bringing TA down slowly. The simplest way to do this is to lower the PH to 7.2 every time it gets up to 7.5. Right now the chlorine tablets will be lowering the PH, but when you stop using tablets you will want to lower the PH with acid.

CH is just a tiny bit high. This isn't a big deal at all, but you should bring TA down a little to compensate.

CYA is fairly high. This isn't an immediate problem, but long term you will want CYA to come down.

The water is very clear. I've had no trouble with cloudiness or anything like that yet. I was most concerned with my CYA level and maintaining the proper FC level. I've been shocking weekly with dichlor per the pool store's direction before I found this site.

I didn't get to swim today, but last night I went in and my eyes were pretty red/irritated when I got out. That was the first time that happened (we've been in the house for a month).

One question about the TF-100 kit. I'm maintaining the chlorine level above the daily chlorine test's 5ppm max. Does this mean I have to do the other FC test every time I want to check my FC level? Seems like a waste to be using the granules on a daily basis. I'm curious to see what tonight's overnight drop is.

On a side note, I think my wife thought I was crazy sitting at the kitchen table for a half hour performing these tests. I told her that the majority of them aren't ones you do on a regular/daily basis.

1. You posted your results meticulously and, apparently performed the tests the same way. If Pool School had a front row, we'd move you up in it!! :lol: :lol:

2. Holding the FC higher than the OTO chlorine test will go is one of the drawbacks of high CYA. You can approach it a couple of ways. You can do the FAS/DPD and get your exact FC (say 9ppm) and then do the Daily test at the same time and "memorize" what that yellow orangeish color looks like in your minds eye. Since you are targeting a range rather than a specific number you do not have to be spot on. Then once a week, you can do the FAS/DPD test again to check yourself.

Many people on the forum "get into it" and prefer to use the FAS/DPD test every day or so for it's precision. You'll find a method that makes you comfortable.

3. I cannot help with the eye irritation

4. Re: wife Yes, people will look at you strangely when you buy 10 jugs of clorox at the grocery store, too. There's no getting around it!!

5. Agreeing with Jason's analysis, your water is in very good shape although the CYA is higher than we'd like to see

bmark...welcome neighbor :wave:

For the eyes, try lowering your PH to around 7.4-7.5...that seems to give me the least irritating open eye swimming experience....but be careful here...another downfall to high CYA is that if your FC creeps up above 10ppm, your PH test may be giving a false high.

bmark3 said:
On a side note, I think my wife thought I was crazy sitting at the kitchen table for a half hour performing these tests. I told her that the majority of them aren't ones you do on a regular/daily basis.

Apparently, you didn't order the SpeedStir with your kit, otherwise your wife might gently nudge you out of your chair and do some chemical interaction herself....I certainly have a lot of fun with mine (Thanks Dave) in fact, I may use more chemicals than normally inclined to do....just to make sure I'm right.....hmmmmmmmmmmm:lol:

No speedstir, yet. I wanted one but didn't have the extra $30. My last pucks are almost dissolved and I will be switching to bleach probably tomorrow or Wednesday. I usually test at night when I get home from work before I turn the pool off and plan to add bleach then.

I need to stop by Lowe's today and pick up some acid to lower my pH a little too as recommended. I also need to get some kind of measuring cup for bleach and the acid.

To be honest I'm a little nervous. The pool has been fine so far this summer, I just don't like using the pucks and raising the CYA. Hopefully when I lower the water level to close the pool this fall, the replacement water next spring will bring the CYA level down some from 80.

I'll post my progress and new test results as I go.

My measuring cups are usually water bottles (16oz) and big gulp cups (32oz). I know that when using bleach it takes 28oz to raise 1ppm, so one big gulp cup as needed. It is recommended to run the filter for an hour after adding so it will mix well! I know you will love the BBB method and not have to worry about the CYA raising needlessly.
Happy swims to you.

Pucks are gone. Tested last night FC was around 6ppm when I got home, added about half of a 182oz. 6% bleach container and I was up to 8ppm after about an hour. Didn't have time to test this morning. Will take a look tonight and see what my daily loss is. Running over to Lowe's at lunch today since I wasn't able to get there yesterday. My wife is skeptical and asked me if the bleach was going to ruin her black bathing suit. I told her its all chlorine regardless if its liquid, pucks or a SWG, just a matter of what else you are putting in your pool. When I told her I'd have to drain 25% of the pool water to reduce the CYA from 80 to 60 and what that would do for our chlorine usage she started to come around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Washing machine uses 3/4 cup for color fast clothes per directions, in maybe 30 gallons? Your pool at 22,220 gallons is 740 times that. Equivalent bleach would be 4,440 oz. You added 91 oz, only 2% of that.

Looked at another way, what you added, 91 oz in 22,220 gallons is like adding 0.12 oz to the 30 gal washing machine. 1 liq oz = 29.57 ml. So this is 3.5 ml.... a drop is usually 1 ml. So, like adding 3 or 4 drops of bleach to the washing machine, full load.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.