The Digging Begins!

Jun 20, 2010
Southeast VA
The pool guys were here bright and early this morning. I was able to snap some pictures before they started digging;

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

When I opened that first pic and saw that BIG trackhoe is that tight spave, I thought, "Man, I'll bet that guy is pretty good."

He didn't disappoint....that's a cadillac lookin' excavation....very nice!

duraleigh said:
When I opened that first pic and saw that BIG trackhoe is that tight spave, I thought, "Man, I'll bet that guy is pretty good."

I was thinking the same thing. I operated a forklift for about 5 years and a track excavator for a summer (in a past life it seems) and was pretty good at both, but it is amazing to see some of these guys work.

Floater said:
Going to be nice! Can't wait to watch the progress...I'm still dreaming of an inground...but someday. Where is your location?

Thanks, I'm located in Southeast VA.....not too far from Va. Beach. I thought for sure they would hit sand or the water table....but no, it's mostly clay and no water.
They are putting in well points just in case we get a nasty Nor' Easter.

You know, if I went the most common route and bought the pool from a pool company, it would have cost me twice the amount that I'm spending.
I bought the inground pool kit online and hired these guys to install it. They told me if I had gotten them to buy the pool online, they could have gotten a discount for me. Unfortunately, I didn't know about that, but I'm still way ahead of what a regular pool company would have charged.
I say, stop dreaming and make it a reality. :cheers:

woodyp said:
You should sue those guys for leaving those ugly orange marks all over your grass!

Nah, I'm not worried about it. In time, I'll have a patio area between the pool and deck. Eventually I'll the grass up to par once the landscaping is done. This is one of those projects that I'm not going to rush.

duraleigh said:

Yeah he was amazing to watch! I should have video taped it. He was happy to have the room to move around in.
I did locate a lot 1 mile from my home that they let them dump the dirt in. That saved on time and $$.
Right now, they are working on the polymer walls.
More pictures tomorrow. :cool:

They did assemble the walls today. They asked what size plumbing did I want. 1 1/2" or 2? They said it was already cut for 1 1/2 inch but it was up to me. So what do you guys think? My husband feels the water in a smaller pipe will flow faster.
Also one of the pool guys told me because of so much clay, he didn't feel a well point was needed. The other pool guy thought it might be a good idea. I don't know, since I'm new to all of this. I do know, when it rained, water never soaked into the ground but ran off.....but something is telling me we should have a well point put in just in case.
Another thing they said would be to use a 4" sand/concrete mix for the bottom instead of Vermiculite.
As far as the back fill, one guy said he would put 6" of the clay dirt down then run a hose around it soaking then continue the process until it filled in. My husband said he was thinking of doing the exact same thing.

I'm open for any suggestions or advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not much happening right now. They did come out yesterday to raise the walls up about 10" because the excavator did dig down too deep!
Their plans are to put a concrete bond around and under the walls plus they are adding a pipe next to each brace filled with concrete. They said it will act like a pier supporting the walls better. They also said the K brace that came with the kit isn't (in their opinion) as good as a steel brace for the steps. So they are adding two steel braces.
We did have a nice down pour yesterday (first time since June 30) so water was in the hopper. Also where the walls had not been staked in, only held up with a string tied to a piece of rebar, the rebar pulled out and the wall was leaning towards the center of the pool. I had my son get out in the muddy mess to find the rebar and stake it back up.
Hopefully today will be a better day! It is my 25th Wedding Anniversary! I know I didn't sleep to good last night!

I'll get some pictures up soon when they start pouring the bond.

Well, so much for pouring cement today. Because it rained yesterday and I have mostly clay, it makes a muddy mess. They opted to wait until tomorrow and put a base of Gravel then pour concrete on top of that.

Any pool builders on this forum? I'd like a second opinion.

Today, they leveled and plumbed the pool walls then poured concrete around the outside walls;

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

Then they added some pipes into the wet concrete to extra support. Tomorrow they will fill them with concrete;

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

Pump station pad;

DSC_0367.jpg

Tomorrow they are to start on the pool floor as well as the drains.

Today they were going to do the pool floor but temps are in the 100° range and after working out in the hot sun yesterday they decided to take a break. They also decided instead of using a sand/concrete floor, to go with Vermiculite. A truck just dropped off 3 pallets of sand and Portland cement stuff, so the guys will start early in the morning.
I know there are pros and cons to Vermiculite but in the manual that came with the kit, it suggested Vermiculite. I know it's more expensive, but isn't it like an upgrade?

I'll get pictures tomorrow when they start on the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.