The Digging Begins!

Still waiting on the blasted face plate for my Aqua Genie! :grrrr: In the mean time, the pool guy finished the piping and did the bonding around the pool. The Electrical Inspector is supposed to come out today and check it out. Hopefully, it will pass so we can proceed on to the next step.

Got the bonding in the ditch to the pump station approved, but I have to call the inspector again when we get it back filled and the mat/mesh connected.
Now on to the next stage!

We plan on using the left over dirt and I am getting a truckload of sand to mix with it for the back fill.

Hopefully my face plate will arrive soon! :grrrr:

Still waiting on the darn face plate! I mean really....how long does it take to ship a simple part from TN to VA? They must have put it on a turtle's back or something! Heck, I could have drove there and back several times!

Pool guys are trying to line up a Bob-Cat for the weekend to start with the back fill. It will be so nice not to have a canyon around the pool!

The face plate finally arrived yesterday via UPS. Now just waiting to see if they got a Bob Cat to do the backfill.
Yes, it has been a long 3 weeks for me.....especially after they told me it would take a week to a week and a half! I know part of that is due to the hot days we had. I didn't expect them to work in that dangerous heat. Also waiting on the face plate slowed the pace down too. Hopefully we are on the home stretch now!

Well, updating you all....we have the back fill in so now we are just working it to help it settle better. In my area you have to put a wire mesh around the perimeter of the pool before you can pour the concrete. Before we do that, I want to make sure the ground is settled more. We have had a long hot and dry summer so we took a long pipe attached it to our water hose and went around the pool making holes. You can tell some places are not settled yet as the pipe goes in very easy. After we do this, then we get more sand/dirt and fill it in. It may take a while before the final steps for completion but I am patient. I have until Jan. 2011 before my Building Permit expires.
I do think people who rush their pool builds are the ones who have problems down the road.

I'll get a current picture for you guys soon.

deer hunter said:
Any finished pics?

We put the wire bonding mesh around the pool last Saturday and started attaching with mechanical lugs but Home Depot didn't have enough. With my husband and I working all during the week plus with the Tornado watches, work came to a halt. I did order a couple of skimmer sock off of eBay and I must say, I am very impressed on how much junk it picks up! I do need to order a TF 100 Pool Test kit. Right now I'm just using test strips and taking water samples to the pool store. They crack me up wanting to sell me their stuff.
This Saturday we want to finish with the bonding so that I can call the Electrical inspector in to hopefully pass it. I already have a concrete company lined up ready to go. It will be so nice not having to fight with dirt being blown in all the time. I do see light at the end of a looooooong tunnel. :goodjob:

OK, back in the saddle! I hired a concrete company to come out and pour a deck around our pool as well as a patio area.
These shots are from this morning where they were putting forms up;

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

These are from this afternoon where they poured some sand, leveled and tampered it. Temps were perfect for this type of application....70s.

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0765.jpg

They wanted to pour the cement but the weather had forecasted a chance of rain this evening so they postponed the pour until Monday morning. Keep your fingers crossed for me and let's hope that it doesn't rain on Monday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put up some boards by the steps and had a wash pan so people could wash their feet before getting in. I was really happy when I uncovered the pool to see it was not all green and nasty. It was the valuable information that I read on this forum that helped me to prevent such a thing.

We had some rain early this morning so, I got out and vacuumed the pool out again. I know it's going to take some time to get all the dirt out, but it's really starting to look nice. I need to learn more about the chemistry though.....this is all new to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.