CG-36 Cell Low volts -high amps

Ringo

Jul 16, 2010
I have a auto pilot with a CG-36 cell. Doesnt appear to be generating free chllorine.

pH 7.8
TA 100 ppm
Ca 320 ppm
CYA 85 ppm
salt @ 2700 ppm

continuity okay on the cable, resistance at the cell connection was 31 kilohm.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this a board problem maybe? How can I check?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

Could you post the volts and amps numbers you got? Generally speaking if amps are reasonable or a little high then everything is fine regardless of what volts are.

There are a couple of ways of confirming that the SWG is working. The most reliable is to put the unit on boost, so you are sure the cell is on, then loosen the union after the cell just enough to get a slow stream of water coming out. Then test the FC level of that water and compare to the FC level in the bulk pool water. The water coming out of the cell should have a noticeably higher FC level than the water in the pool (FC between +1 and +4 higher than in the pool).

It is quite possible for algae to be growing in the pool and using up all of your chlorine without being visible. The FC level never gets high enough to kill all of the algae off, yet the SWG is producing enough chlorine to keep the algae in check so you never actually see it. If this is happening you need to shock the pool using chlorine added manually instead of depending on the SWG alone to take care of it.

JasonLion

Thanks, great site and info.

I show 0 Volts and 6.5 amps. Didnt think this was possible unless there was a direct short in the cell and with 31 kilohmm measured across the +/- it has me scratching my head.

You can get that reading sometimes when the unit is off. The most reliable way to get good amp/volt readings is to press the boost button, so you know the unit is on, give it ten minutes to ramp up to full power, then do a Test Pool Pilot on the menu and read out the amps/volts. Remember to turn off boost when you are done.

It's also possible that your system is not programmed properly either. If the unit is programmed for REMOTE RUNS PUMP, then it's looking for a communication signal from an interior control system, such as an intellitouch, aqualink, etc.
How are you running your system? Is there an Electronic Control System, an External Time Clock (Intermatic?), or are you using the Digital as your pump timer?
How old is it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.