Bubbles on the surface...

Jul 11, 2010
Ok, I'm wrapping up week 1 of BBB and I am amazed at how nice the water in the pool looks. The only thing that strikes me as odd, is that after the kids splash around in the pool, bubbles form on the surface of the water and then they pop a few seconds later.

The same thing happens when it rains and the rain droplets hit the water surface.

Is this normal? I don't remember seeing this last season.

Andy

I've been on BBB since we put the pool in this year and have the same deal. They don't just form and fizz out or pop immediately. Does 2 to 3 seconds perhaps sound familiar? It's just long enough to catch your attention and make you notice. Low to probably below average bather load for us too-exempting holidays of course!

woodyp said:
I've been on BBB since we put the pool in this year and have the same deal. They don't just form and fizz out or pop immediately. Does 2 to 3 seconds perhaps sound familiar? It's just long enough to catch your attention and make you notice. Low to probably below average bather load for us too-exempting holidays of course!

Yep. Just long enough to catch notice...

Well, see, you guys have both screwed up. You're practicing BBBB instead of BBB! :roll: :roll:

Yeah, I know it wasn't very funny....I'll keep my day job.

The most common cause for bubbles or foaming is something added to the pool other than what we usually suggest. Inexpensive algaecides will cause foaming pretty consistently. Regardless of what it is, the very good news is that chlorine will almost always eliminate it.

If it is really bothersome, I would elevate the FC levels to maybe 50% above normal for a few days and observe.....that'll probably do it. You could also leave it alone and it will likely go away. It just may take a little longer.

Foam from algaecide lasts about a week, and would be gone after that.

There are various organic oils that can form a layer on the surface that can cause mild foaming. They might come from leaves, pollen, sun tan lotion, etc. Usually chlorine breaks them down quickly enough that you don't see any foaming at all, but sometimes they accumulate enough to cause a little foaming. This effect can be aggravated by CH levels below 100. Possible treatments include raising CH to 100 (if it is below 100 now), raising the FC level a little, using a scum ball, and/or using a small amount of an enzyme treatment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.