Shock treatment from Kem Tek

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I was told by a pool supplies store that I need to be shocking the pool at least every other week in the summer in order to control the algae growth. Our temperature can get up to 105 degrees. A friend uses the shock treatment sold at Costco made by Kem-Tek. Then I heard that it is not that effective. Has anyone used it before? Thanks.

If you maintain your FC according to your CYA level you'll never have to worry about which "shock" is best because you'll never have to shock. Having said that, Liquid chlorine is the best shock out there bar none!

You should read Pool School and learn to use the Pool Calc and get yourself a good test kit if you don't already have one.

I am new to maintaining the pool. I had a pool service to take care of the chemicals and filters but somehow I kept getting algae every year so I decided to do it myself. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site. While I am learning how to do it right, I am taking the water to a pool supplies store for testing. The first time I did that, they told me that my pool need 15 pounds of calcium. So much for relying on the pool service people to do the chemicals right.

If you'll continue reading and learning and follow the advice here you'll be much happier with your pool. You'll never have to shock and your pool will stay pristine and the biggest bonus is that it'll cost you less money.

The pool store once told me I needed 20 lbs of calcium.
Since I had a vinyl pool, that was blatently false. But I didn't know any better at the time.
I haven't shocked my pool except for extended vacations as a preventative, and winterizations. For three years. Never a hint of algae. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.