What vinyl pool shape is easiest to build?

Jun 6, 2010
Clayton, NC
Hello. I am planning to build my first DIY vinyl pool. My question is which pool shape is the easiest for a beginner to build? I'd like to go with an oval (i.e. a rectangle with a semi-circle at each end), but would a rectangle be easier? If a rectangle is easier, are the larger radius corners any easier than the tight ones?

Thanks,
Rob

Of course a plain rectangle with a flat bottom is the easiest but that's not really what you want to know is it?
You really want to know if an oval is too hard for you to build?

An oval is pretty straight forward except for the ends. True oval ends can be tricky to form up and the rebar is tricky too.
A rectangle with radiused corners is much easier to construct.
Take a look at Dave's (Duraleigh) pool build and take note of how he did the corners. A true bit of ingenuity at work there.

I built my pool and built a hooper bottom because I thought it would be easiest. I did not use radius' to transistion from the wall to the floor it was just a sharpe angle. I did put 4x4's cut diagonally in the vertical corners of the pool. I would look at the greacian type pool while it is not oval on each end it accomplishes sort of the same thing. There are certain measurements that have to be taken of your pool when ordering a liner, I would suggest searching for a pool liner company and get there order sheets that show the deferrent styles of pools and the measurements that need to be taken in order to purchase a liner. There may even be an oval in there? Good luck on your build I would never do it again! :(

Welcome to TFP!!

I've built a LOT of IG liner pools and would have to opine for a rectangle with 2' radius corners with centered shallow end stairs.

I tried to get a series of DIY liner pool threads going a couple years ago, but it died ~ 1/2 way through from inattention and neglect :oops: Here's the one on putting up the steel.

I'm more than willing to help you do this project, give the first few threads i started a read and ask your questions :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Oh - and by the way Waste, I printed and read all of your "DIY IG Liner Pool" posts a few weeks ago when I first started researching this and they are awesome! :goodjob: You loaded them up with things that I doubt would be included in any manufacturers instruction manual. I think it is invaluable information for beginners like me.

I think I will take your advise and go for the rectangle. In my mind I'm trying to picture running the strings to dig the hole and spread the pool bottom material and it makes sense that straight lines are easier to work with than curves. :wink: I have a compact tractor with a front-end loader and I am actually going to attempt to dig the hole myself :shock: - so I'm looking to eliminate any unnecessary complexity.

By the way, since I'm using my tractor to do the digging, I am opting for a 6' deep end rather than 8' so the shallow-to-deep end incline is less severe (so the tractor can get in and out of the deep end).

Hi, neighbor,

Over the years, it seems like anything I build with a curve triples the amount of time to build it. YOu are wise to go with a stright line design.

I would still suggest curving where the floor meets the walls but that is easily done with the flooring material. Like Jasonknox, I'm not sure I would do it again but it's a great experience.

Thanks for the tip Duraleigh. I'm pretty much stuck with building the pool since that was the deal I made with my wife in order to buy the tractor with the front-end loader. Hopefully our thick NC clay doesn't get the best of it.

By the way, it looks like we're both pilots, but I'm nowhere near your level. I only have about 200 hours flying Cessna 152 or 172.

Robomato,

We may be twins seperated at birth.

I had an old junker tractor already so I managed to finagle this Case backhoe out of the deal!!! I'm sure I thought I was outsmarting Mrs Smith at the time but we all know that's only a temporary condition! :shock: :shock:

I still have the backhoe but I have probably paid for it in a variety of ways.[attachment=0:2zy7ntm5]tem_backhoe.jpg[/attachment:2zy7ntm5]

Attachments

• tem_backhoe.jpg
    tem_backhoe.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 156
robamato said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Oh - and by the way Waste, I printed and read all of your "DIY IG Liner Pool" posts a few weeks ago when I first started researching this and they are awesome! :goodjob: You loaded them up with things that I doubt would be included in any manufacturers instruction manual. I think it is invaluable information for beginners like me.

Thanks for the support :cool: IF YOU NEED ANY help/ clarification - please feel free to call upon me!

When you get to the stuff that wasn't covered, ask a question and, maybe, I'll be able to complete the series :-D

I wish you well with your build and will happily assist you throughout it :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.