Polasris 280 on sale

A quick check with Amazon gives a price of about $440 for the 280 in spite of higher ratings (and much higher prices) than the later models such as 360. 390, 3900, etc. Should I get one while they're still available to eventually replace my ailing 380

A check with my local Bill's Pool and Spa elicits a price several hundred dollars higher, suggesting either they don't keep track of competitor's sales or they just don't care. In the latter case, aren't they fielding a widely-circulated idea that pool owners are either all rich or very dumb

Hello Dalehil, it is a good price, other sites show about $100 more as their lower price.
There are opinions and opinions about the Polaris cleaners, I have a 380 and once I learned (thanks to this site) and was brave enough to disassemble and service it myself. I probably have extended the time it will continue to work.
Mine is the older model (1996) and it seems that all replacement parts are still available. Depending on what may be failing with yours, a tune up kit (about $170) or a rebuild kit (about $270) may be enough.

Have a happy summer.

Elg thank yu for that report. I've used a 380 for 6 years now and it's wearing out so I'm hoping the sale is still on when it gives up. Yes bravery is required to service the unit yourself, one of the reasons being that the tolerances are all awry, some parts being too tight and others too loose; while much of the hardware is eaten away be Cl, has to be replaced by plastic while parts are inordinately expensive and it's easy to reassemble incorrectly

Happy summer to you and many more to come

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.