At my wits end with Algae!!

Jul 9, 2010
Austintown, OH
I have been having constant trouble with algae lately and have no idea what to do. I am still pretty new to owning a pool and seriously need help!

Here's my numbers:

CYA 40
TC 7.2
FC 7
PH 7.7
TA 124
CH 370

I have been keeping the chlorine levels high in an effort to kill the algae but the pool is still pale green and milky looking. I have been faithfully brushing the entire pool every day. Any info or ideas would be GREAT!!!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP.

Not as hard as it seems. The whole secret is to raise your chlorine to shock level, which for your CYA is 16ppm per the Chlorine CYA Chart The key part that most people miss is that you need the water to stay at that level all the time. That may require testing and adding more chlorine every hour for the first 5 or 6 hours until you don't see much drop between additions, then every 4 hours for the next day or so, then every 8 hours until the algae is gone. Even a few hours of no chlorine can set you back to square one.

Here are a couple of articles to read:

Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.